Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxford Crown anyone?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hamish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Oxford Crown anyone? Reply with quote

We have been offered jobs, including a 'two bedroom apartment with all the conveniences' in the 'southern district of Moscow' by this individual who represents Oxford Crown.

Sergey Linev
Educational Programs Manager
www.oxfordcrown.ru
Adress: Office 104, Nagatinskaya st. 1/1, Moscow, Russia

One aspect that struck us as odd was his remark; 'We renew the visa every three months.' Is that common practice?

Does anyone have an up or a down for that idea?
BELS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: Oxford Crown anyone? Reply with quote

Hamish wrote:
We have been offered jobs, including a 'two bedroom apartment with all the conveniences' in the 'southern district of Moscow' by this individual who represents Oxford Crown.

Sergey Linev
Educational Programs Manager
www.oxfordcrown.ru
Adress: Office 104, Nagatinskaya st. 1/1, Moscow, Russia

Does anyone have an up or a down for that idea?

Not at the moment. But I'm always suspicious of those using the Cambridge, Oxford or Harvard name in vain.

What are they offering you as a financial package? Are you guaranteed a fulltime salary? What's the flat like and is it shared? If they are offering you a two bedroomed flat just for you, that's terrific. But I would find it hard to believe, unless at last we really do have an who have gained some common sense.
Will you have a washing machine? They say the South is a dirty polluted area of Moscow as it is the industrial area.

Oxford you say??? Smile Would Oxford spell Programs that way? Not unless there is an Oxford in the USA.
akolsky1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also was approached by Oxford Crown--same guy, Sergey and was offered a job after he saw me on. I was emailed all the pertinent documents. I didn't think it looked like a scam, but the website didn't work yesterday. Also the fact that he approached me from another employment website seemed cool at first, but I don;t know now after reading this post. I saw his posting on another ESL employment website and it looked legit. I was going to negotiate up the salary--but not sure if that will work. Any thoughts or advice are welcome.
Amy
BELS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I;m curious. This company I have seen as a franchise. But is ir in the the frachise associatin? Don't anbody be fooled by a name such as Oxford. Cambridge or Harvard. We do remember the Harvard name, don.t we ? I t was banned fro here as a very bad group who didn;t pay their teachers, etc etc/

I,m sorry but I am suspicious of groups who claim name when the they have nothing to do with Cambridge or Oxford University. Simplyu a name brings up suspician

I;m sorry but you need to google with the name and see what you find, as for the moment I;m suspicious.
BELS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd love to hear about the contract, the two bedroomrd flat sounds interesting , but I don't believe it somehow, salary ofer and package of visa expenses would be interestging , also health and return flight offers.

What about keeping your family, with a driver, and education for your children, or is that too much Smile WOW! Am I suspicious?
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:02 am    Post subject: OXFORD CROWN... Reply with quote

THERE ARE NO JEWELS IN IT WHATSOEVER!
This company is top of my blacklist from personal experience and I will gladly send full details in confidence to anyone who p.m's me......AVOID THIS FIRM AND THE AREA!IT WILL DEFINITELY END IN TEARS FOR YOU!
BELS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The name makes me suspicious. I am certain it has nothing to do with being linked to Oxford University. And look what happened to Harvard school in Russia, they also had nothing to do with the real Harvard as we all know it.
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: A dirty firm in a dirty area! Reply with quote

Just opposite their offices is the railway station Nizhny Kotli and this area is officially listed as having the worst air quality in Moscow!It makes parts of London such as Hackney Wick and Neasden look idyllic by comparison!!
BELS

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please tell me in detail. What is the offer of this company. A two bedroom flat as that is what I I don't believe but it should be. A decent salary I don't know of yet.

Let's not forget that we are in difficult times here now. Can they guarantee you of a decent salary? of perhaps �800 per week, plus health cover, driver and care of your childrens' education etc..

I would forget them, and even if whether you are a single person or whether you need to keep a family you should be treated with the same respect. And that's the problem with the EFL profession. We are treated with disrespect throughout the world.

If they want to seek a good professional , then they should make a decent offer suitable either for a single person or for a person with a family like any other decent expat.

Stop all this crap. Accept a decent offer or refuse what they have to offer. You are professionals, and you should be treated as such. Have some pride, and don't be fooled by adventure, and don't be ripped off.

Last edited by BELS on Wed May 06, 2009 7:06 pm; edited 5 times in total
maruss

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: You really would be better off with the Mac firms than them! Reply with quote

Yes,I'm serious!
kazachka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELS wrote:
Please tell me in detail. What is the offer of this company. A two bedroom fat as that is what I I don't believe but it should be. A decent salary I don;t know of yet. Let's not forget that we are in difficult times here now. Can they guarantee you of a decent salary? of perhaps �800 per week, plus health cover, driver and care of your childrens' education etc. stc. I would. I'd forget them, and even if you are a single person you should be treated with the same respect. And that's the problem with the EFL profession throughout the world. We are treated with disrespect throughout the world.

What do do you see in this advertising. Promise of travel, sometimes you having to pay for the travel and visas yourselves.Come on is that not a rip-off, or is it not a rip-off.

If they want to give a decent profession , then they should make a decent offer for a single or a family like any other decent expat. Stop all this crap. Accept a decent offer or nothing at all. You are professinal, and you should be treated as such. Have some pride, and don't be fooled by adventure, and don't be ripped off by paying for extorniate fees for courses which don't pay you much in return. Yes even a month with a lot of money is too much to what you get in return.

That one hit the nail on the head!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maruss

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Exactly! Reply with quote

I hoped I would be O.C.'s last victim,but probably not,it seems...
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, really don't get it. How can some barely coherent, semi-literate ramblings have hit anything on the head?
rusmeister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say barely coherent, but BELS good points are marred by the spelling and punctuation errors. If we are professional, we ought to demonstrate it on these boards, and not give the impression that we spend our evenings drunk in front of a computer (whether the impression is true or not).

Just saying that because I actually agree with BELS (and want to second the motion), but appreciate sashadroogie's point.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BELS wrote:
A two bedroom fat as that is what I I don't believe but it should be.

A decent salary I don;t know of yet.

Can they guarantee you of a decent salary? and care of your childrens' education etc. stc.

What do do you see in this advertising. Promise of travel, sometimes you having to pay for the travel and visas yourselves.

If they want to give a decent profession , then they should make a decent offer for a single or a family like any other decent expat.

Have some pride, and don't be fooled by adventure, and don't be ripped off by paying for extorniate fees for courses which don't pay you much in return. Yes even a month with a lot of money is too much to what you get in return.

Sorry, this is incoherent babble. And the errors are not just basic spelling or punctuation. This is not typical of any educated, literate person who has proper control of language, let alone an English language teacher. In fact, had a Russian teacher, or any other non-native teacher, posted this, then we'd laugh them off the board.

Apologies if I sound harsh - I mean no offence. But I find it difficult to stomach reading badly-written posts when they complain about the lack of professionalism in ELT. Even in my drunkest and most wretched state I don't produce broken syntax like that, and neither does any other poster.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: