Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

can anyone help please ...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a lot is two words Twisted Evil
shin12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deary me have you got nothing better to do than go through my posts and correct them.
As i said GET A LIFE FOR YOURSELF !
shin12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ARE YOU IN YOUR 50'S ?
shin12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

or 60's
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither - I'm not 'old' by your standards.

Shin, sorry to be nit-picking.

But seriously, if you expect to get any job teaching English in Italy or anywhere else, the overall message is solid: fun, liberal, and young are all very well. But employers are looking for teachers who are willing and able to use English that's in a standard range. Selling slang and 'young and cool' won't get it in the real world.

Now I'll stop nit-picking. I've honestly done what I could (as have others on this board) to give you some realistic picture of what the world out here is like.

Good luck in it! Honestly.
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shin12 wrote:
ARE YOU IN YOUR 50'S ?

er... now who's being judgmental? Actually I am in my 50s..

I've been out this afternoon learning some dance steps for a dance tonight, and some new tunes for my instruments. After the dance with friends providing the music we'll probably go on to a late night dive. I play football for a local team and I ski regularly. I even occasionally teach the odd bit of slang, and teaching in Italian state schools I can assure you my personality comes into full use.

We've provided you with some advice here but you don't seem to want to listen to anything that doesn;t meet your views, I've been on the sodding internet for 15 years and I've met plenty of trolls and time-wasters in my time, and lots of people who still give advice. With people like you around I really don't know why they bother. I think I'll go and buy myself a TV as wih them there seems to be less effort involved in wasting time.
shin12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not asking you that question Sue. I will not be using slang when i teach. In all honesty is seems you are quite up yourself and thats not a nice trait. Sad
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite possibly, but I'll live. At least I listen when people give me advice, particularly when a number of people give me the same advice.

So why ask anybody 'are you in your 50s' , 'or 60s'? It doesn't matter who you asked, it's still ageist crap, and an even less likeable trait.
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shin12 wrote:
or 60's

Question mark missing.

To our resident troll (look it up in the dictionary).

Boring? Maybe. In 2004 I resigned from my lucrative and secure senior management job in finance, sold my house and went travelling. Two summers biking round Europe (boring Honda ST1100) and two European winters travelling around Australia (1st time on a Honda CB1000F (not so boring) and the second time in a camper van. We started teaching when a Polish friend, who we had met on our travels, suggested it as a way of earning money away from the UK.

We've talked the talk AND walked the walk. When we are in England we stay on our (boring) yacht and occasionally sail over to the Isle of Man. Last Monday I taught one of my advanced groups "nitty gritty". They love slang - but not at the expense of correct grammar, punctuation, spelling and vocabulary. Most of my Intermediate + students are more literate then you seem to be.

Stay on the "rock and roll" and spare the poor foreigners your "language skills".
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenlivet wrote:
When we are in England we stay on our (boring) yacht and occasionally sail over to the Isle of Man..

Ooh, whatchergot? Did 3 weeks as watchleader around Italy on a 60' schooner in 2007. You can't beat fresh tuna (well, mackerel maybe..)

I sail OPBs. Smile
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
Glenlivet wrote:
When we are in England we stay on our (boring) yacht and occasionally sail over to the Isle of Man..

Ooh, whatchergot? Did 3 weeks as watchleader around Italy on a 60' schooner in 2007. You can't beat fresh tuna (well, mackerel maybe..)

I sail OPBs. Smile

Dufour 29 - strangely named 31 foot fin keeler. When we eventually sell we should be able to afford a nice little house somewhere. Or we could sail her to a convenient location.....
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some very posh marinas in Sardinia... Or you could sail it around Italy and moor somewhere near me (Marche - try Numana perhaps) and hire it out (i.e. they pay you to crew) for people wanting to sail across to Croatia. Lovely beaches and islands there. I've always fancied the yachting life myself, but as I never worked in finance, I'm reduced to dreaming about it...
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nor me TiR, I wasn't really cut out for IT.

Incidentally, OPBs : other people's boats..
Haven't sailed in a Dufour but good boats: my stomach prefers them a bit heavier in the Channel/Atlantic... but in the Med I'm open to offers!Smile

PS Croatian bureaucracy is worse than Italian, even if the sailing is great..
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teacher in Rome wrote:
There are some very posh marinas in Sardinia...

Unfortunately "posh" translates to "expensive", and current incomes don't really do expensive Sad
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:

Haven't sailed in a Dufour but good boats: my stomach prefers them a bit heavier in the Channel/Atlantic... but in the Med I'm open to offers!:-

The older Dufours tended to be heavier and sturdier than the modern ones. This would be capable of crossing the Atlantic - with some either braver or more stupid than me at the helm of course!!

To be honest, we could do with the capital, this would be a good time, economically, to buy a small house somewhere like Spain or Italy. Unfortunately, the same economic situation doesn't encourage people to buy expensive boats and have to keep them in even more expensive marinas Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: