Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

King Abdulaziz University.......anybody?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eclectic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: King Abdulaziz University.......anybody? Reply with quote

Are split shifts mandatory? Do you get more or less the "2 months + Islamic holidays" that a poster referred to on another thread here?

I was told my Masters in Business would not help my salary, since its unrelated to English.

I have a BA in English, no TEFL or TESOL certification, and am currently completing a 1-year contract teaching English in another country.

That would be my only year (when it is completed) of TEFL experience.

Salaries I've read are from 11,000-17,000 per month in KSA. Can you save the equivalent of $2000 US per month on that salary range? Could I ask for (and possible receive) a mid-point of say 14,000 per month?

Anyone with experience, please advise.
aljeddawi

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are split shifts mandatory? Do you get more or less the "2 months + Islamic holidays" that a poster referred to on another thread here?
You are given by the Admin, and you have no say about it. You may be teaching at 8.00 am and then come at 5.00 in the afternoon. This is common here.
As for islamic or other public holidays, you cannot be sure about them, the dean wants you to be on campus and in your office 24/7.

I was told my Masters in Business would not help my salary, since its unrelated to English.
I have a BA in English, no TEFL or TESOL certification, and am currently completing a 1-year contract teaching English in another country.

For salary purposes, you are considered as BA graduate.

Salaries I've read are from 11,000-17,000 per month in KSA. Can you save the equivalent of $2000 US per month on that salary range? Could I ask for (and possible receive) a mid-point of say 14,000 per month?

You are looking at 10K at best with your qualifications. What they say is different what you get when you sign your contract. Teachers with MA and five years university experience get 11500 here all inclusive -transportation etc plus 17K rent support per year which is not enough if you are a family. As for saving money, it is totally up to you. There are people getting 7K and saving 5K SAR.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. All of that is OK with me. The hours, the days, the split shifts and the salary. All of it is OK and I would be happy for it.

What do you mean "what they tell me" and "what the contract says" my salary will be "are 2 different things"?
Mr. Mead

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What do you mean "what they tell me" and "what the contract says" my salary will be "are 2 different things"?

Hi eclectic. Aljeddawi is probably more qualified to give you perspective on the wider Saudi employment trends, but I just thought I'd share my experience so far with KAU, which has been quite similar to yours. My MA was also disregarded in their salary rubric because it was deemed unrelated to TEFL. Even then, my 2 BAs (neither English) and 3 years teaching experience only added up to around 10,600 KSA/month. I was disheartened to find I didn't even make their minimum salary according to the job offer, but I was told the same by my recruiter as what Aljeddawi wrote, which is that those with fewer credentials were offered a little more than 9,000 and another with 15+ years experience got between 12-13k. That said, I can't imagine how lengthy one's CV must be to reach their upper (advertised) salary range (if at all possible).
eclectic

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Mr Mead. That is certainly helpful. I do hope I could get atleast 10,000-10,600. Why is it they don't care if I have a TEFL or TESOL certificate? Only a BA in English, and Masters in Int'l Management.

I was surprised becasue I always thought KSA was so strict with their requirements.

Well, on 10,000 a month, could I and my wife save 7,500? We cook every day and don't spend much on anything like restaurants, etc.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
I was surprised becasue I always thought KSA was so strict with their requirements.

It is very telling of the employer... they obviously have a reputation that means that more qualified teachers don't apply so they have to take what they can get. From what I have read here, the minimum to be accepted for a visa from the Ministry is a BA in something with the better employers requiring more extensive quals.

VS
rigel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="aljeddawi"]

You are looking at 10K at best with your qualifications. [b]What they say is different what you get when you sign your contract.[/b] Teachers with MA and five years university experience get 11500 here all inclusive -transportation etc plus 17K rent support per year which is not enough if you are a family. As for saving money, it is totally up to you. There are people getting 7K and saving 5K SAR.[/quote]

That's what I was afraid of. I've been offered a job at this university, but I'm probably going to say NO. I was told over the phone during an interview that I'd be getting 11,000-12,000 + 17,000/12 + transport allowance + food allowance for a total of about 14,000 SAR a month. They're now emailing me to determine what my salary will be. This is very odd. I thought the deal was done, but now I know they're gonna play games. I wonder what they'll say when I put my contract demands in front of them? For one thing, I won't pay more than one month's salary if I have to leave. I also won't give more than a month's notice if I'm cutting out early. They can agree or take somebody else. Makes no difference to me. And they'd better get the lead out. I've been waiting weeks on these guys to give me even a rough draft of a contract. Gee. Waiting weeks or even months on a job that sucks. That's a smart way to go. And if 17,000 isn't 'enough', that's another red flag. I was told it is plenty for a single guy to get by on. And I gotta do split shifts? They neglected to tell me this.

Is it time to cut my losses and give them the middle finger salute?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Discuss. Then decide if it's worth 2-4 years. Working a year will be ruinous as you will have to pay so much over the allowance to furnish your accommodation.
aljeddawi

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some points in RIGEL's post. You cannot leave the kingdom of Saudi Arabia whenever you wish. You need an EXIT VISA for you to exit which is taken by your employer and Passport Department (or Jawazat as they say) will not issue you an exit visa without your employer's consent. Another point is that, you do not keep your passport, you have to hand it in to the office, this is, i believe, to avoid any runner scenerios. As S Jones indicated, if you are coming for one year, you lose more than you gain.
KAU ELI will tell you that the salary scale is from the finance department, and they have no authority over it. That is true to a certain extend. But, Be ready to get less than what is actually written on your contract. This is what is happening here. I heard from many new staff that they were offered around 13 K or more in the contract but after they have signed the contract with the finance department it ended up around 9k or less than 10K. The Finance department has reasons to do that, you take it or not. Once you are here, what can you do? You will pay for all offical expenses too such as your iqama (residence card), visa fees, medical test etc etc. 17K for a small flat might be ok for a single person, yet, I am paying close to 30K a year which is a decent place to live, five minutes to the centre. Good luck.
Mr. Mead

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find some of the criticisms in this thread seriously troubling considering I've signed the KAU contract and am presumably 3-4 weeks away from heading to Jeddah (apparently some optional summer work has been arranged). At the moment it's the only option since I've turned down other opportunities, and I don't have any inside exposure to the KSA TEFL scene other than what I read here to make any reasoned decisions.

Could someone please clarify with as much detail as possible:

1.) Does KAU allow instructors to leave the kingdom over official holidays (both Eids and semester break)?

2.) If the split-shifts, mismanagement, uncompensated extra-contractual work, etc. is unbearable, is it not possible to run over one of the holidays?

3.) What are the consequences of running aside from making it difficult to get another Saudi job? What finances can they withhold if they've already paid out the housing/furniture allowances and salaries to date?

Aljeddawi's depicts KAU as a complete nightmare and I've no reason to doubt it. If we're walking into a trap, I need to know beforehand how to get out.
eclectic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 3:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Mead, I also find most disturbing, and then when you add in the subtle sarcasm and condescending tone of some of the posters, it is quite nauseating as well.

Is this a forum or an old-folks home? God, please dont let me get old and crotchety like them! Have they tried prune juice, maybe, for their constipation of mind?

Mr Mead, hang in there, you'll find I think you'll get the answers yourself, rather than mistakenly hope to get decent and civil answers here on this forum. I'll let you know anything I find out about KAU, as I am in the same boat now. Smile
Asda

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for 'getting out of the trap', that's easy...don't apply for the visa AND/OR don't take the plane they book you on (or you have to book yourself and they'll reimburse you upon arrival)!

If you have the visa on your passport and you are currently in your home kentree, get a new passport because Uncle Bandar would not have your biometric data (fingerprints - yes, all 10 and iris scans) on database as yet...
applepie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand that Jeddah is one of the least conservative places to be, and as a single female I am trying to give myself a fighting chance in Saudi.

I have an offer with PNU and an interview scheduled for late next week with
HR @ KAU ELI - I understand the housing allowance is nothing to shout about & the airfare is reimbursed on arrival (older posts) - Is the situation @ KAU ELI still abysmal?
I've read so many posts now that I can honestly say I am totally confused! Shocked

I am trying to work out whether it'd be better off taking a job @ ELI (if offered) and declining the PNU offer in Riyadh?
Some of you have been so very helpful so far and any info / insight would be very much appreciated.

Very Happy AP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: