Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sarajevo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JRD

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Sarajevo Reply with quote

Is there anyone out there who is (or has been) working in Sarajevo? I'm interested to know what the living and working conditions etc. are like there?
jdc111

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Been there. Reply with quote

First, stay away from Interlingua Language School, owned by Edin Hadzic. Sometimes known as Dino and often uses the name Dzovida!

Sarajevo is easy to get around on tram, bus, taxi. Shops are full and people are friendly. The town is safe. A multitude of military people will be encountered. Wonderful history! Beautiful monuments, buildings and city center. Great food. Not cheap!! Not cheap!! Not cheap!!

Politics and language are still raw. Slowly the past is fading but not forgotten. Scars, internal and external, are obvious.

Go!! And enjoy Southern Yugoslavia!!

Contact me privately for details.
Rumblefish

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I'd be very interested to hear any information about both Sarajevo and the school you mentioned. I have an interview with them and would greatly appreciate any helpful info you could provide. I can't pm you diectly yet as I haven't posted enough on the forums!! Feel free to pm me if you feel you can help.

Many thanks.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also curious about Interlingua (just applied there) but can't PM yet.

By the way, I've been in Sarajevo for nearly three months now and I absolutely love it!
Rumblefish

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd certainly be interested to hear more about your impressions of Sarajevo. Any specifics you caould provide would be great, costs of living, characteristics of the students, options within the city etc.
Cheers
musicalchef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I am not teaching here; I am here for research. I was going to stay here and apply for teaching jobs since I love Sarajevo so much, but it seems that circumstances will place me in Prague after my research finishes, so I am looking for jobs there now. I can tell you more about the city and its expenses though:

I had a harder time finding an apartment than I thought I would. I looked at online ads for weeks with no luck. Fortunately, the people at the hostel I was at liked me and charged me a drastically reduced rate, but I was still frustrated about not being able to cook my own food and have internet connection (which was very important for my research), etc. I finally found one in Grbavica, about a 35-40 minute walk from downtown (easily accessible by trolleybus and tram). I think I may be paying too much for it, and I'm wondering if the landlords hiked up the price since I'm a foreigner, but I'm not too worried about it since I'm only here for a few months. I'm not sure what would have been a better approach in finding an apartment.

Fast food is cheap and good, as I quickly learned after eating it for a month while I was staying at the hostel. There are no McDonalds here yet (although I did see a Burger King ripoff called "Hamby King"). Bosnian fast food is probably much healthier than American fast food - it is made fresh for one thing, and most of the ingredients are locally made, organic, and very high quality. You can find food recommendations on most Bosnian tourism sites, as you probably already know. Fresh produce, however, even at the outdoor markets, is approaching US prices. To balance things out, you can go to the bakery and get a loaf of bread for .80 KM (50 cents), as well as some very nice pastries that make a good quick, cheap meal.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(continued)

The people here are very friendly. Many of the younger people speak English. Most of the older people do not. I would strongly advise learning Bosnian if you are going to be here for awhile. The city is beautiful, and the view of the mountains is breathtaking. I have a great view of them from my apartment, and I never get tired of looking at them. If you're doing any traveling around the area, take the train. It is cheap and the scenery is amazing. (take your own food and water on the train by the way; there is not always a dining car)

The public transportation can take some time to get used to, but once you learn the routes it is quite convenient. It is designed for locals, not tourists; as you will see the names of the stops are neither labeled at the stops themselves nor announced or shown on the tram/trolleybus. You have to either count the stops to where you need to get off, or just know what the place looks like. That was a big shock for me when I first came. Smile

If you have any questions about the city, I'd be glad to answer them if I can!
Rumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks man, that is really helpful info. It's good to get some idea of what the city is like.
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalchef, may I ask about the nature of your research?
musicalchef

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am an ethnomusicologist, and I'm in Sarajevo researching some of the musics here, particularly sevdalinka (traditional urban "love songs") and modern ilahije (songs with an Islamic message). After taking some time to become comfortable with the language and "absorb" the culture, I am now interviewing musicians, listeners, writers, and professors.
leretif9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Sarajevo, what do those who know Sarajevo recommend as far as looking for ESL work is concerned? I've got a BA in English and I am a native speaker. Do you need a CELTA here?

And, in a related matter, when you say, "expensive," what do you mean by expensive? How much is a one bedroom apartment? How do you find it, and how much do you have to pay to move in? I'm from San Francisco, so I may have a fairly distorted notion of what expensive means in housing terms.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm wondering if the landlords hiked up the price since I'm a foreigner, but I'm not too worried about it since I'm only here for a few months

It would be normal to pay more if you're committed to the place for only a few months. The prices generally start to moderate at the one-year lease mark(for the wider region; I don't know specifically about Bosnia) .

musicalchef, very interesting research, by the way! Will you carry on with it in Prague?
leretif9

PostPosted: Sun Apr 07, 2013 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"...It would be normal to pay more if you're committed to the place for only a few months. The prices generally start to moderate at the one-year lease mark(for the wider region; I don't know specifically about Bosnia) ."

Can you be a bit more specific here? On average, how much in USD to move in to either a one bedroom apartment, or some kind of shared housing situation?

And, how much rent per month?

Also, are there good schools to study for and get a CELTA in Sarajevo? And what's the price range on this in USD?

Thnaks very much!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: