Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working in French Universities

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gretchen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Working in French Universities Reply with quote

I'm interested in finding out how difficult it is for non-EU passport/papers holders to find work teaching in French universities as lecturers and whatnot. I've got an MA TESOL and tertiary experience. Also, what are the working conditions at said universities. I'm more interested in living in a city such as Lyon than in Paris, but I'd love to hear from ANYONE! Question Question Question Exclamation

Thanks a bunch!
daily chai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 9:59 am    Post subject: discussed widely--please review posts Reply with quote

Gretchen, non-EU people working there has been discussed in no shortage of posts on the France forum, the Italian, the German, the Eastern European (for non-EU people working in candidate EU countries)... and probably every other EU forum and the General Forum--but I don't look in those, so not sure. An evening spent perusing these forums would yield a bounty of information, opinions, and experience in the subject. Please research.

Some people report being able to find jobs--read the stickies. They refer you to the "American in Paris" posts in the Job Information Journal. These will shed light on getting working papers. Other posts in this forum talk about jobs teaching at universities in France, but those are directed to people who have working permission. You could put together the two to see the whole picture of what you need to do. It's all right there for you.

You should consult your local French consulate to familiarize yourself with procedures for securing your working permit. "American in Paris" tells you her experience. Then be prepared to pound the pavement in France. It would be extraordinarily exceptional if you got a job at a distance. Furthermore, teachers are warned over and over throughout this forum (see Taiwan, for example) to be very cautious about accepting jobs without seeing the working situation first--it is a rookie mistake.

Best of luck.
lostinparis

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

working conditions....

as an enseignant vacataire (lecturer) at a French university, you enjoy certain advantages and disadvantages.

Advantages:
1. First off, the pay is fantastic - I get 42 euros/per class hour before taxes, etc. However, I am not paid one penny for preparation time.

2. The administration doesn't bother me much and I am free to design my own course (this may just be my particular university).

Disadvantages:
1. The schedule is designed to fit students' needs, not yours. If you have another job or are a student (which technically you should be in order to be able to get a position like this) you will have to manage your schedule very carefully.

2. Students are not always motivated. You will probably teach at a non-language department (meaning no English majors here). Students will be studying business, engineering, sports mgmt, whatever. English is not a priority class for them. Classes here are based on a coefficient system where some classes (like English) are less important than classes in Math, Economics, etc.

3. Student's levels can differ GREATLY. I have students who can barely speak or conjugate a verb in the past tense and students who can articulately express their views on world politics in the SAME class. This makes for very difficult preparation when I am designing my course for the semester.

4. Paydays. We are paid at the END of the semester for the work we do during the semester. I am STILL waiting for my check for Fall Semester 2003, which started in October and ended in December. They are now telling us late March, early April!! No wonder they require that you already have a full-time job!

Remember, these are all particularities of my university. A friend who works at an IUT in Saint Denis makes 38/hour, but is also paid every 2.5 months instead of at the end of the semester. She teaches Human Resource Mgmt students and the administration has asked her to teach specific business-type classes. (not my cup of tea, personally.... my sports students much prefer to talk about dating and more conversational type topics!)

But, at least, this will give you some idea...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: