Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Living Conditions in Pekanbaru for a woman

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
derya

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 8:44 am    Post subject: Living Conditions in Pekanbaru for a woman Reply with quote

Hi,

I have never been to Indonesia but have been negotiating for a teaching opportunity at [b]Thames Business School[/b]. Could you PLEASE give me any iofo. related to this school? AND

1. Is 24 hours teaching per week ok and how much do I have to ask in return to live okey in Pekanbaru?

2. What can be the living conditions for a 32 yrs old female?

3.What should I look for in the contract?

4.Do I need to be a ntional of a specific country to get the work permit to teach?

Any ifo. will be very much appreciated as I know nothing about the country and its culture.

Thanx
ls650

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Living Conditions in Pekanbaru for a woman Reply with quote

derya wrote:
I have never been to Indonesia but have been negotiating for a teaching opportunity at Thames Business School. Could you PLEASE give me any iofo. related to this school? AND
1. Is 24 hours teaching per week ok and how much do I have to ask in return to live okey in Pekanbaru?
2. What can be the living conditions for a 32 yrs old female?
3.What should I look for in the contract?
4.Do I need to be a ntional of a specific country to get the work permit to teach?

Take a look at the job journals - they are very helpful and offer a lot of answers.

1) 24 is full-time. You'll need to put in a lot of extra hours for lesson prep, marking, placement interviews, etc. I teach about 22 hours a week, but work maybe 45 hours a week; expect to work almost as many hours outside the classroom as inside.
2) About the same as for a 32 year old male: you should be earning enough to live in modest comfort. I earn about 8 million Rp, and spend about half that per month. I bank the rest and wire it to my home bank every 3 months.
3) hours per week, health care, housing arrangements, sick and holiday leave, plane ticket home, early contract ending, etc. etc. etc. Take a look at the daily journals...
4) Indonesia will only grant teaching work visas to nationals from countries where English is the spoken language: USA, UK, Canada, Aus, NZ>>>>
derya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks IS650.

I will be teaching business related courses (not english language) do I still need to have passport from these countries? As the employer says my passport is ok even though it is not UK, USA, Ireland......etc.

Have you heard about thames business school or do u know where I can learn about it?

And one last thing, isi it possible to get the work permit before coming to Indonesia or do I have to be there?

Thanks so much.
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

derya wrote:
I will be teaching business related courses (not english language) do I still need to have passport from these countries? As the employer says my passport is ok even though it is not UK, USA, Ireland......etc.

The employer would know better than me. I was under the impression that only someone from a "native speaker" country could get a teaching visa - but what do I know? Maybe the school knows the right people to bribe... Wink

derya wrote:
And one last thing, isi it possible to get the work permit before coming to Indonesia or do I have to be there?

I can only tell you that it is possible for folks in Canada, Englandn and Australia. I went to my local Indo consulate and found out who my school needed to contact. The school then faxed a letter from Indo Immigration to the consulate, and a few days later I went to the consulate and had the visa put in my passport.

However, it sounds like the more common course is for the teacher to come to Indo on a tourist visa, sign a contract with the school, and then make a day trip to Singapore to file the visa paperwork.

I suggest you contact the school and ask for the details as to how they want to handle it. I have *heard* of that school - but know little about them, good or bad.
derya

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanx a lot.

out of curiousity, how long have u been in Indonesia (Jakarta?) and how do u like it?
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

derya wrote:
out of curiousity, how long have u been in Indonesia (Jakarta?) and how do u like it?

I have been teaching in Jakarta for about 9 months now. I like my school, and I find my time in Indonesia to be, er, interesting. When I have a chance to travel away from Jakarta I enjoy Indonesia - but I hate Jakarta itself. Embarassed It's a filthy, crowded urban rathole.
bayabule

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Derya,
I'm a 29 yr old female and I've been living in Surabaya since Sept 2001. I've never been to Jakarta, (is that where Pekanbaru is? Never heard of it before sorry) except for the airport. IS650 has answered your questions pretty fully but if you have any specific questions on general living in Indonesia please feel free to PM me for a female perspective.
Take care
oprah

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been teaching English in China.. Wondering how a change to teaching in indonesia would be?? Looking for comments.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: