Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Job search alone or w/ agency?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruby_silence

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Job search alone or w/ agency? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm new on here. I'm hoping to move to Peru in the next couple of months. I was TEFL certified through Oxford Seminars in Feb.- just the 60-hour class. I have a couple months substitute teaching (non ESL) and that is all the experience I have, plus my BA in English. I've read on here in a few places that Oxford's job placement services not very good. So far, I've only gotten pre-typed stock responses for all of my questions I've e-mailed them. Ugh. Now I'm wondering if I should go through Oxford to find my first job, or should I just look on my own? I've heard it's "safer" to go through an agency for your first job. I've been thinking of using Oxford for help with my resume and little things, but then job-searching on my own. Thoughts?
keepwalking

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of job are you looking for? Over what time period? I don't know anyone who went through an agency to get work in Peru. My advice would be look throught the postings here and do some research on WHER you would like to be and for how long. Once you've done that use the yellow pages on line to see how many language institutes there are in your chosen destination and send your CV to them. Don't expect many, if any, replies - institutes tend to hire faces in the door rather than online. That said, I got a job online and used that to get started before moving on to bigger and better things.

I would say the best source of info is this message board and we don't charge anything for our advice! (although none of us would turn down a thank you beer, I would guess!!)
ashleyanew

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've gathered from myself and friends:

South America ESL: Look once you arrive

Asia ESL: Use a recruiter and get them to pay your plane fair

Europe teaching/ESL: You better be have a license and be willing to live in poverty unless you luck out.
ruby_silence

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I'm looking to stay for a year, possibly in Trujillo. I'd like to teach older students. I'll definitely check out the yellow pages.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

60 hours isn't worth much. Most employers expect at least 120. GOod news is that in my five yeras here I've never been asked to show my certs.

YOur best bet is simply to knock on doors once you arrive. YOu'll hae jobs lined up within a couple of weeks, no visa though
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen two places recruit from overseas and they place you in LIma.

1. Britanico. They just advertised here on eslcafe.com
http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=19432

2. Babelfish recruiting. They place you in Britanico.

There is also a placement agency, called TEFL Job Placement, you pay about 600usd and they simply place you in their own school. 600 usd is one month's salary here in Peru
Mike Lee

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same situation. I went through Oxford Seminars (somewhat regrettably) to get my TESOL certification. I have a BA in Linguistics and 6 months of ESL experience. I've been hoping to find good work in Peru with what I have. I too am hoping to get to Trujillo, maybe around late May early June. Have you made any progress on moving on yet? And NatureGirl, I was wondering if you had any information on how to get documents (diploma, birth cert.) legalized for Peru. I call the consulate in my area and the line is always busy and they won't return my emails. Is it even worth the trouble? I'd prefer a contract with a company to get some benefits if possible. Or am I naive in hoping for any at all?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI, Just Pmed you with lots of info. HOwever, about the legalisations, etc. INstitutes don't care. They won't get you a visa. Unless you're tryig to get into a school, I wouldn't bother. Still I'll send you the link.

YOu probably won't get a job offer unless you're in Peru. If you want to work in a school, look at Fleming.edu.pe
Mike Lee

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I got your PM. Thanks for all the info, made for a fun night of reading. I am keeping my fingers crossed to make it down within the month. One more question, from what I understand you enter the country with a tourist visa good for 180 days which can be renewed three times for 90 days each. A total of six months. Does this dissuade any institutes from offering year contracts?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Lee wrote:
One more question, from what I understand you enter the country with a tourist visa good for 180 days which can be renewed three times for 90 days each. A total of six months. Does this dissuade any institutes from offering year contracts?

Not really. Legally, you get 180 max. YOu get it at the border. Supposedly if you get less, than you can renew UP TO 180 days. But I think it dependso n the immigration officer. Just ask for 180.

THen border hop and get another180.

Institutes don't really care. And many places don't offer contracts. It's just word of mouth. SO find a good one!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: