Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oxford Crown anyone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jnicolson21

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hamish, I worked in Oxfordcrown last year and cannot stress strongly enough that Marcus is right, you SHOULD NOT go and work there. PM me if you want more details.
BELS

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have edited my statement to make it easier for you and here it is:

guarantee you of a decent salary? of perhaps �800 per week, plus health cover, driver and care of your childrens' education etc..

I would forget them, and even if whether you are a single person or whether you need to keep a family you should be treated with the same respect. And that's the problem with the EFL profession. We are treated with disrespect throughout the world.

If they want to seek a good professional , then they should make a decent offer suitable either for a single person or for a person with a family like any other decent expat.

Stop all this crap. Accept a decent offer or refuse what they have to offer. You are professionals, and you should be treated as such. Have some pride, and don't be fooled by adventure, and don't be ripped off.

I'm sorry that you find my 394 posts incoherent and not useful to this site. But I know for a fact that I never babble!!! And members who know me here know that for a fact!!! I normally state truth and fact!!!!

And may I bow down to you as a most knowlegable and useful person to this site in regards to Russia in teaching rather than me !!!

Now please , can we now get back on to the topic of what we are talking about for this particular thread? Boy OH Boy!!! You have been so useful to us on this forum with your 54 posts. I bow down to you with your knowledge and experience. It looks like we don't need anyone else. You are so knowledgable and great!! What do you advice for the questions that have been asked on this thread?

Sashadroogie wrote:
BELS wrote:
A two bedroom fat as that is what I I don't believe but it should be.

A decent salary I don't know of yet.

Can they guarantee you of a decent salary? and care of your childrens' education etc. stc.

What do you see in this advertising. Promise of travel, sometimes you have to pay for the travel and visas yourselves.

If they want to give a decent profession , then they should make a decent offer for a single person or a family like any other decent expat.

Have some pride, and don't be fooled by adventure, and don't be ripped off by paying for extorniate fees for courses which don't pay you much in return.

Sorry, this is incoherent babble. And the errors are not just basic spelling or punctuation. This is not typical of any educated, literate person who has proper control of language, let alone an English language teacher. In fact, had a Russian teacher, or any other non-native teacher, posted this, then we'd laugh them off the board.

Apologies if I sound harsh - I mean no offence. But I find it difficult to stomach reading badly-written posts when they complain about the lack of professionalism in ELT. Even in my drunkest and most wretched state I don't produce broken syntax like that, and neither does any other poster.

And sorry I'm just being nice, and accept you are ot being harsh.

LET US GET BACK ON TOPIC. YES!! MISTAKES ARE MADE WHEN HEAVILY INTERRUPTED. MANY OF US DO NOT HAVE THE LUXURY OF OUR OWN PRIVATE STUDY. IT HAPPENS. JUDGE US BY KNOWING US IN GENERAL WITH ALL OUR POSTS. AND DON.T ALLOW SMALL POSTERS TO THINK THEY ARE ALL HIGH AND MIGHTY. ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY HAVE NEVER PROVIDED YOU WITH A CREDIBLE POST APPRECIATED BY MANY> I HAVE MANY TIMES!!! BUT HE HASN'T!!!!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From someone who generally just lurks on the Russia/CIS forum, because my experience there is limited....for what my two cents might be5 worth....

BELS, your posts are generally useful, but it's clear that you're not a native English speaker (or if you are, something's gone dreadfully wrong).

That is not a problem - and you are obviously a valuable member of the forum. But if others criticise your syntax...well, it WAS problematic. Do continue to give your valuable perspective on the teaching scene, but it's not necessary to defend your English usage. We can deal with non-native English on Dave's, but it's easier when it's openly acknowledged.
BELS

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
From someone who generally just lurks on the Russia/CIS forum, because my experience there is limited....for what my two cents might be5 worth....

BELS, your posts are generally useful, but it's clear that you're not a native English speaker (or if you are, something's gone dreadfully wrong).

That is not a problem - and you are obviously a valuable member of the forum. But if others criticise your syntax...well, it WAS problematic. Do continue to give your valuable perspective on the teaching scene, but it's not necessary to defend your English usage. We can deal with non-native English on Dave's, but it's easier when it's openly acknowledged.

Good point. I thought at first you could type quickly in a forum, and you could be possibly tired from working many hours previously. But that doesn't seem to be the case here.

From now on on I will take care how I write here, and when I write. I hope that is the better way for you all. Yes I do from now on to take better care on how I write. OH! so boring!! But that's what I will do, and I promise.
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, like many of us, I too type quickly and am often tired or have had a bit to drink. But I'm still 1) a native English speaker and 2) a professional English teacher. If my grasp of the language slipped to a degree where other posters were commenting, I'd be very, very worried.

However, if English ISN'T one's native language, and the above conditions apply, then everyone's going to be more understanding...
rusmeister

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Yeah, like many of us, I too type quickly and am often tired or have had a bit to drink. But I'm still 1) a native English speaker and 2) a professional English teacher. If my grasp of the language slipped to a degree where other posters were commenting, I'd be very, very worried.

However, if English ISN'T one's native language, and the above conditions apply, then everyone's going to be more understanding...

That's basically it.
Some of your constructions betray non-native speaker - "guarantee of" is one of the examples. It's not a typo. It's a foreign language error. Other errors, like punctuation, word omission and typos, are acceptable in other native speakers to a small degree. We all make mistakes; many of us write when we are tired. But when you make a LOT, and claim to be a professional, there's an inconsistency.

In some cases a person's level of language can be unacceptably shoddy for a native speaker, or amazingly good for a non-native speaker, and this looks like one of those cases. (Granted that appearances can be deceiving...)
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: They're Back! Reply with quote

Yes, Oxford Crown are back looking for victims! This time the story is that those responsible for not paying teachers and other dodgy tactics have been sacked.

Don't fall for it, keep well clear
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leaving aside Bels' contributions to the English language (long time no see, by the way), I would like to return to the original query.

A three month visa may be issued in the short-term but it certainly shouldn't be repeated again and again. The aim should be to extend the initial visa to the end of the first academic year, then to go for an annual visa. Repeated 3-monthers sound distinctly dodgy, perhaps a variation on business visa abuse (which anyway should not allow you to return until after a 90 day period away - you should get 90 days in any 180 day period). So I would suggest you avoid this.

The use of Oxford is a common marketing tool for CIS countries, as students like the idea. It does not in itself denote dishonesty. The visa, however, does worry me and it could lead to you getting in trouble.
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Single-entry three month visas can be obtained back-to-back, although these do not give one the right to work legally.
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They sound lke tourist visas. Certainly not for working.
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not tourist visas, but business visa and still no good for legal employment.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Business visas are not to my knowledge issued back-to-back, if you mean by that that the holder can stay in the country for extended and uninterrupted periods of time. Each business visa allows you stay for up to 90 days in any period of 180 days (commonly interpreted by teachers as three months uninterrupted stay). They can be viewed as 'back to back' in that (a) you can get a multiple entry one year visa, where one 180 day period is followed by another 180 day period and (b) I doubt if there is a problem getting another one for the following year. But they do not offer continuous extended stays; they are still for a maximum of 90 days in any given 180. And as noted previously, they are not for employment, neither are they a licence to offer private tuition.
Peg Leg Pete

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are multi-entry business visas.

A three-month business visa can be issued the day after (in practice two days after) the old visa expires. There is no restriction as the visa is only valid for 90 days. There is no limit to how many you may have in a year. Moscow has many teachers operating on such visas.
coledavis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Wouldn't each fresh visa require fresh completion outside the country? I wonder if the school or the teacher is paying for all the travel and administration costs. In that employment on a business visa isn't legal, I wouldn't take the risk, personally. The school is probably playing fast and loose with the tax authorities, amongst other things, if it is employing illegally.
Sashadroogie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure about this, Pete? I have never heard of any distinction between multi-entry and single-entry business visas in terms of the 90/180 rule. In any case, aren't business visas only issued outside of the Federation? Would stil be a pain to have to exit ans re-enter every three months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: