Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

meeting of Dave's folks at TESOL Arabia?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:24 pm    Post subject: meeting of Dave's folks at TESOL Arabia? Reply with quote

How about a meeting of folks from Dave's at TESOL Arabia? Say in the bar after conference hours? We can toast Veiled Sentiments, who, sadly, will be stuck in the snow and unable to attend.
mli_vet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:03 pm    Post subject: Aiwaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! ! ! Reply with quote

Aiwaaaaaaaaaaaaa ! ! ! Our veiled friend shall be toasted. Great idea Sheikh Bindair. Might have to keep veiled myself so the GHQ hit squad doesn't get me, but hope to see you there.

MLI Vet
Over and Out
tefllifer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: meeting of ESL cafe posters Reply with quote

Whatever, whenever.
Maybe a masked ball or something.
Do we have to give away our 'handles'?
Can we get badges stating 'Cafe poster' and leave it at that?
But what if someone we have taken offense to shows up? Do we take 'em outside and knock sense into them?
How do we deal with multiple personalities? Am sure there are peopl out there who post under 2 or more names.
let me know where the party's at.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: meeting of ESL cafe posters Reply with quote

tefllifer wrote:
Whatever, whenever.
Maybe a masked ball or something.
Do we have to give away our 'handles'?
Can we get badges stating 'Cafe poster' and leave it at that?
But what if someone we have taken offense to shows up? Do we take 'em outside and knock sense into them?
How do we deal with multiple personalities? Am sure there are peopl out there who post under 2 or more names.
let me know where the party's at.

We'll deal with all these questions at the business meeing, which commences at exactly -- OH, NO!! You just missed it. Have to hold your q's for next year. Smile

Here's my suggestion for meeting up: Let's say we just hover around the bar in the conference hotel with a "D" taped, pinned, tattooed, or otherwise affixed to clothing, face, or headgear -- around nine-ish on Wednesday? Would that work?

Or maybe at the hotel front desk?
Albulbul

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to come and pretend to be scot47.

Who will know that I am a pretender ?
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albulbul, I believe that you will have to practice your sean connery accent. I think he once confeshed to shounding like him.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Albulbul wrote:
I am going to come and pretend to be scot47.

Who will know that I am a pretender ?

I met him face to face, once upon a wet, wintry day, in Gorna Oryahovitsa.
johnslat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: More, more Reply with quote

Dear Bindair Dundat,

And lived to tell the tale??!!

By the way, I'd say you have a great opening line for a novel there:

"I met him face to face, once upon a wet, wintry day, in Gorna Oryahovitsa."

Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: More, more Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:

And lived to tell the tale??!!

Lived, yes, but changed forever.

johnslat wrote:

By the way, I'd say you have a great opening line for a novel there:

Thank you. Let us continue.

I met him face to face, once upon a wet, wintry day, in Gorna Oryahovitsa. He stood steadfast in front of the station, braced against the icy wind that roared down from the Carpathian highlands and raced across the Danubian plain. He held a torn and crumpled photograph, splattered with drops of rain that looked curiously like tears, or even, in the waning light of the afternoon, blood. He planned to depart on the evening train to Istanbul, from whence it was his custom to vanish into the desert Kingdom, often for months at a time.

**OK, THAT'S AS FAR AS I GO, SOMEBODY ELSE TAKE A TURN**
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: The adventure continues Reply with quote

Dear Bindair Dundat,
Lord help me, I can't resist:

As I looked, he sighed deeply and put the worn photograph into the pocket of his overcoat. Were those drops of rain or tears that I saw upon his face? Then, suddenly aware he was being watched, he turned and spoke gruffly.

" Have you nothing better to do, laddie, than display your ill upbringing by staring at me?"

"I beg your pardon, but aren't you the legendary Albulbul?"

"Aye, laddie," he replied, smilingly wryly. " At least, sometimes I am."

It was a seemingly enigmatic response, and yet I knew what he meant, for this was the man of a hundred identities, a thousand faces. His incredible exploits in Her Majesty's Secret Service were whispered about in the halls of power and in the humblest of hovels.

OK - the ball's rolling. Next up at the wicket?

Regards,
John
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: The adventure continues Reply with quote

Dear Johnslat,

One is tempted, in the service of honoring the spirit of Cervantes, to recast your last sentence as follows:

"His incredible exploits in Her Majesty's Secret Service were whispered about in the halls of power and in the humblest of hovels: his own."

However, that might chip away at the sheer majesty of the work in progress.

Collaboratively,

BD
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I met him in a very comfortable cafe in Al-Khobar on a warm and pleasant midday morning, and even managed to bum a free breakfast off him.

Not sure what chapter that will fit in though!
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Truth may be stranger than fiction Reply with quote

Dear Bindair Dundat,
Got to admit, I like the recasting. But we're walking a fine line here. I see it as (perhaps) developing into a pastiche of those great "Flashman" novels. Push it too far (as your recasting may do) and we descend from pastiche into parody.
Dear Stephen,
An interesting insight into the character of the real Albulbul. I mean, who'd have thought he'd ever spring for breakfast for someone else? However, since Bindair and I have apparently decided to take the route of fiction, perhaps your anecdote will have to wait for Albulbul's biographer(s).
Regards,
John
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have neither of you realized whose photo it was that he placed in the pocket of his overcoat?

VS
johnslat

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 2:32 am    Post subject: Photo finish Reply with quote

Dear veiledsentiments,
Sweet sufferin' succotash - you don't mean . . .!!!!!!!

Hey, no fair just interjecting. Hop on the collaboration train and make a contribution.
Regards,
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: