Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

advice on Curitiba, Brazil?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
evolving81

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: advice on Curitiba, Brazil? Reply with quote

Hello,

This is my first time posting on Dave's ESL Cafe. Does anyone who visits the forum live in Curitiba or have any advice about living in Curitiba? I am working on an MA in Applied Linguistics in the US. I would like to live and work in Brazil after I have graduated. My BA is in Anthropology and I am working on learning some Portuguese now as well.

I am going there in July 2009 to visit and check it out. I have heard that it is easy to get a job teaching English in Sao Paulo or Rio but I'm not quite sure about Curitiba. It just seems like a really nice city, not too big but not small, and I already have one friend there who lived in the U.S. but is now back in Brazil.

Anyway, thank you for your advice/information.
icehockey23

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Curitiba and visit often due to business. It is indeed IMHO a "really nice city" but compared to the rest of Brazil the weather sucks and the Brazilians I know make jokes about how snobby the Curitibanos are.

It will probably not be difficult for you to get a job teaching English but as I have said innumerable amounts of time making a decent salary might be. If you plan on coming just on a tourist visa and have savings already and want to just make some money to cover living expenses - you can probably do it.

There are tonnes of chains in Brazil providing fast-food Eng lessons - apparently they are not interested in foreigners who are not legal but you dont want to work there anyway as they pay shit.

Curitiba has some independent schools that might be interested in a native speaker and would pay "segunda caixa" - you could try and contact - Phil Young's school - you can google it - but might have morphed into a chain now.

You can also just teach privates and/or "business Eng" - prob more lucrative but might take a while to build a network - put add in newspaper or on Craigslist.

If you have your masters you could approach the Universities - Curitiba has two that i know of - Federal and Catholic but you would need everything translated in Portuguese - the application process takes a very long time and as far as UFPR is concerned it is very competitive and Ive been told by faculty a Phd was basically needed?!

Good news about Curitiba is that it has excellent pub trans and relatively OK traffic for driving if you taught corporate lessons or privates.

Cheers
labomba

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi evolving

Curitiba is quite a different city compared to to others in Brazil, even to those in the South. They have progressive policies on many social issues, such as libraries and transport. I advise you to visit and see if you like the place. Some find it boring compared to other cities in Brazil, others think it is the best city in South America because of the progressive policies. Many Brazilians think this and haven't been there so I suggest you go and see. I prefer other parts of Brazil.

I guess because it is progressive in many areas and also a comparitively rich city in Brazil there are opportunites. Usually in Brazil that still means going there and working for six months as is suggested in many posts on this site.

You will see visiting Brazilians shivering in the bus station in Curitibia. If you want to warm up go down to the coast at Paranagua.

good luck
evolving81

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. I will be in Curitiba in July so I guess I will see how I like it. I live in Florida and I kind of prefer a more moderate temperature so maybe it will be a good fit.

Thanks again!
labomba

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its much more temperate in the winter (too temperate!) but hot in the summer.

The train or bus down to parangua is spectacular and it is always warmer down there, and you can visit isla do mel and to totally get away from it isla superguai, very different!

Curitibia is very much a city of immigrants. They've got several museums of immigrant groups: Ukrainian, Polish, Japonese, etc. Fuuny thing I noticed is that the food from these groups have not survived intact with one exception, cakes!

tchauzinho
evolving81

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI... I was in Curitiba in July and there appears to be quite a few private English schools. I didn't actually visit any of them since I was on vacation and not looking for a job yet. I am curious if it is possible to get a position at UFPR, the local university? Does anyone have any insights? I will have an MA in Applied Linguistics in May of 2010 if that helps. I know Brazil is not the place to go to make money but I don't think I want to go to the Middle East or back to Asia.
Marye25

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Living in Curitiba Reply with quote

Hi

I was looking fo some informaton about Curitiba, and I'm quiet in the same situation as you before.

I mean. I am Brazilian and I currectly live in UK. I'm married to a british citizen and we are both looking into moving to Brazil, Curitiba to be more exact.

Could you kindly let e know a bit about your experience there ( the good and bad things please Smile ) Very Happy

He has a degree and Phd in Law, not sure if this is something in Brazil, but we both willing to try something new.

So any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much

Kind regards

Marye
tink0000

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Living in Curitiba, Brazil Reply with quote

Curitiba, Brazil is a wonderful place to teach English and it's an amazing city. There are good jobs for native English speakers, especially if you're TESOL certified and are a college graduate. My wife and I loved it (summer of 2011 - winter in Curitiba) and we're going back in 2013.

It is a beautiful, very walkable, progressive city (It's won all kinds of awards for sustainability and preservation.) It has real, self-contained neighborhoods with restaurants, bars, small grocers, drug stores, sensibly-sized malls, and everything you need. It's been called the most livable city in Brazil and among the most livable in the world. And the people open up and welcome you. They love Americans and Brits and their cultures.

We visited several times before teaching English there (We lived in a high rise apt.) The innovative bus system is one of the best in the world - you don't need a car.

By US standards, the weather is great. No real extremes and wonderfully mild in the summer, not hot and muggy like most of Brazil.

Cultura Inglesa is the school (several locations) where many Brits teach, as they tend to stress British English.

Downside: You go for the experience, not the great pay. But that's true of Brazil's English schools in general.
evolving81

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the information. Does the school sponsor you for a work visa? I was under the impression that anywhere in Brazil the ESL teachers are on visitor visas. I do have an MA in Applied Linguistics if that would help.

I visited Curitiba a few years ago now, and it was a very nice city. I would definitely be interested in teaching there if I could do it legally.
tink0000

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@evolving81
Some schools in Curitiba are likely to help you, especially since you're a native speaker and have an advanced degree (Global TESOL certification is a big asset). We were there just two months so the visitor visa worked fine (although see the earlier message re: "segunda caixa"; it's the norm for shorter term stays.)

We can't walt to return to the fine city of Curitiba in July!
I'd be happy to answer any other questions.
Boa sorte.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: