Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My first visa run

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: My first visa run Reply with quote

My contract has ended and I am going to Bangkok for a 60 day visitors visa. As this is my first visit I need to know where the visa office is located.I will have my passport,copy of out bound ticket and pics.My bank account is in taiwan so I don't think it is a good idea to show them a bank statement from Taiwan as I am applying for a (visitor) visa. Hey! what do you think?
daily chai

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be able to find that w/ a search on Google. I've spent a few minutes but am giving up... anyone else? Lonely Planet will have it, failing that.

If your contract ended--the usual working contract? There should be no problem that you finished your period of residence & work in Taiwan with a bank account in country. Very normal to have one in those conditions.

If you want to work elsewhere, secure a letter of termination / release letter or you won't be able to get a new legal job on the island.
http://www.tealit.com/releaseletter.htm (bookmarked)

HTH!
killian

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have never done a bangkok visa run. lotsa stuff in your brief query.

first know that alot of the rules pertaining to us have been changed. go to www.tealit.com and click on the "royally good news" banner. i don't beleive release letters are part of the rules anymore.

your local foreign affairs bureau has a list of the taiwanese economic and cultural affairs offices worldwide with contact numbers.

call your desired visa run office BEFOREHAND and verify if they are currently giving 60 or thirty days. such seemingly varies at the whimsy of each local office. make sure they are open on the day you desire to come. they observe every holiday(both taiwanese and their respective host nation's) possible.

the bank statement thing specifically cited that the bank had to be outside of taiwan. such was never requested of me, but my passport always had plenty of taiwan stamps inside. they would see such and glide me through.
daily chai

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2004 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowza! Three cheers for the new ruling, and thanks Killian for pointing this out! I had bookmarked the ARC release page so didn't notice the new rules.

New ruling
http://www.tealit.com/arc_transfers_and_release_letters.htm
Aristotle

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be advised I have seen no reports that state the government authorities have done anything but ignore the new rules concerning transferring of teacher ARC's.
There is currently a power struggle between the Ministry of Education and the Council of Labor Affairs. Little to no real progress is expected. Large amounts of graft monies are at stake and the welfare of teachers or students is the least of these ministries concerns.
Tealit simply publishes what the government tells them as they have strong affiliations with multiple government agencies.
You will notice that any post put on the tealit forum concerning the R.O.C. governments failure to implement the new rules is quickly deleted.
Don't hold your breath and proceed with extreme caution.
Welcome to Taiwan, R.O.C. (Republic of Criminals).
A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: