Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Global ERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mexicobound

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aog5003 wrote:
I have been placed with Global ERS and it has been great. I did not need to pay a fee because the schools generally pay the fee to find good, foreign teachers. I think every Mexican private school has its own issues, but none of these issues are related to Global ERS. Also, the woman who hired all of us English teachers is someone we can contact if there are any problems between the foreigners and the Mexican teachers. It has been a great experience. Hope that helps!

This is good information.
I am going through Global and very happy so far.
I have a school interested in me and I should be interviewing next week.

The benefits are very appeasing, especially compared to what I see other schools offering.

Here is the package I was sent:

Private school in Mexico teaching high school English.

Monthly

$1000US

Paid housing/bills included (Individual)

Free Shuttle to and from school.

Paid work visa

Paid vacations

Medical insurance

Travel expenses $800 USD ($400 on arrival/$400 end of year)

And other benefits.

Classes are Mon-Fri from 7:30AM-2:30PM.

No weekends or nights. Me gusta.
Samantha

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global ERS places teachers in all different kinds of private schools (foreign teachers don't generally work in public schools). To balance this discussion, I know two young teachers from my home city in Canada who weren't very happy with their experience. They felt rushed into making the decision after applying, and it turned out neither of them had the experience to deal with the situation they were placed in. They were young and had degrees, but had no teaching experience, much less ability to deal with a class of 30 spoiled children for a full school year.

Not sure where the idea came from that they only place top foreign teachers. Global ERS needs to fill positions in order to make money, and so they work with the current applications to do that. These two teachers had some problems with various things, as is bound to happen with young people new to Mexico and to teaching, and they got no help from their placement person in rectifying those issues. They ended up bailing a little early as they couldn't do it any longer. So don't go in with rose-colored glasses. In these economic times people do what they must, to stay afloat. A year is a long time in the wrong situation, as my friends discovered. There ARE good schools, but also some not so great schools that always need teachers.

I understood from them that breaking the contract with the school would result in financial consequences to the teacher, since the school has paid Global to guarantee they will have a teacher for the full year. My understanding was that the schools pay $1000.00 USD for each placement. That's pretty steep. I recommend speaking personally to teachers who have been placed in the school you are about to be placed in, prior to accepting any offers.
Mexicobound

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your input Samantha
I know that Global does place teachers with no experience, but they also place certified teachers as well.
The school I am interviewing with has teacher requirements on their homepage; they ask for US state certified teachers with 4 year degree and 2 years experience.

I am sure the job offers are per experience and certifications.

My recruiter did advise me that they have placed teachers who didn't like their positions and opted out of the contract. I am sure this happens all the time with many recruiters who hire inexperienced candidates or candidates who didn't do enough research or were just "looking for a way out of their current situation."

By the way, I am not being pressured at all.

ps: I will try to contact some of the previous teachers, that is a good idea.

pss: The only rule about breaking a contract is that you must give a 3 weeks notice to leave the position. If you do not give 3 weeks notice there is a $300US fine. But if you give notice then there is no fine.
VW1701

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: go figure Reply with quote

All I can say from my experience is, stay away from global ers!
ls650

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: go figure Reply with quote

VW1701 wrote:
All I can say from my experience is, stay away from global ers!

Can you offer some concrete details? (without writing anything defamatory...)
VW1701

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you want to know? Basically, my gripe is that they hire whoever they can to do the job. People are put into situations where they are not capable of working, ie, they are not even qualified.
Prof.Gringo

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW1701 wrote:
What do you want to know? Basically, my gripe is that they hire whoever they can to do the job. People are put into situations where they are not capable of working, ie, they are not even qualified.

Sounds like TEFL/ESL and Mexico in general Razz
inotu-unotme

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This forum came up when I googled .global-ers.com
I can tell its an older forum.

Is there anyone who has gotten placed with this agency lately?
BadBeagleBad

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW1701 wrote:

Global ERS doesn't hire anyone, the school does. I interviewed with two schools they arranged for me some years ago, and was offered one of the jobs, and not the other. I decided not to take it because of the distance, but I was not presured to take the job, more than perhaps two follow up emails and two follow up phone calls, which I don't think is excessive.
etoile

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a job recently through them. They arranged interviews in three different schools, one was too far so I didn't follow up with the interview process, one turned me down and the third offered me a job.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: