Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Summer time, and the livin' is easy...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Summer time, and the livin' is easy... Reply with quote

It's that time of your when thoughts turn to... yes, the summer. As many of you know teaching in Italy ceases for months as the place shuts down and people head for the mountains or beach. Last year I ended up doing a mini-bus driving job for an activity centre and ended up looking even butcher than usual. This year, with a family wedding in the UK I thought I'd once again brave a summer school.

The question is, which one(s)?
I don't think I'm formally qualified enough for pre-sessional work, although I'd certainly be capable. I'm not going to ask for the horror stories, though there are some great tales in circulation, I'd rather have some positive recommendations. I'm flexible and adaptable but I'm not prepared for any employer who takes the p***. I'm a teacher, not an all-night dorm supervisor.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously decent places are so rare nobody is giving anything away!Smile
TheLongWayHome

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it Sue! Come back and sign on, save yourself months of stress or failing that try the next best thing - agency work. Anything but a summer school.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheLongWayHome wrote:
Don't do it Sue! Come back and sign on, save yourself months of stress or failing that try the next best thing - agency work. Anything but a summer school.

Thanks for your concern.Smile Don't know if you've seen the latest employment figures, and not sure I'm eligible for JSA. Fortunately I'm not desperate, and if I do take on a summer school job although I'm a laid-back sort of person I'm hard-headed enough not to be exploited.Wink

Think I'll go and look for a yacht crewing job...
Gusss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manor courses - fantastic place to work -not the best paid, a lot of hours, but they treat you right , really fantastic bosses and we had a great team.
Juna Gu

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh no! I was thinking of doing summer schools until I read this. I didn't realise it was yet another aspect of life that comes with it's own list of headaches. Oh well, nothing for free eh. However I think I might just be desperate enough.
steviok85

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: summer school Reply with quote

I accepted a job at a summer school last month.
The pay wasn't bad, I suppose. 1600 pounds for four weeks. It was better than what I had earned last year.

Then I thought, bugger it. I am going to have a dignified summer where I can actually breathe- I am going to travel around Europe with my guitar.

Maybe I will be minus a few grand, but after last year's experience at summer school-goodbye cash, hello world.
malu

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it once, a couple of years ago when I happened to have a very long summer hol. I found MJA Language to be OK employers. Can't speak for any others.

Not sure I would want to do it again unless I had lots of holiday time as it can be quite exhausting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: