Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Interesting article

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil_b

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Interesting article Reply with quote

It's been mentioned before, just wondered what anyone though of this:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/8046341.stm
SueH

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that earlier this evening. Pity we can't have some examples of language schools who have lost their accreditation. It would be interesting to see what they used to pay their staff....
Phil_b

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be interesting to see why places were rejected... A lot of 'Visa factories' are/were just that, a couple of offices that supposedly ran course, but in reality, don't actually do any teaching...

There may be some institutions that have been rejected/didn't apply because they didn't like the idea of policing immigration policies....
SueH

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil_b wrote:
There may be some institutions that have been rejected/didn't apply because they didn't like the idea of policing immigration policies....

Yeah.. I had to refuse entry to an FE college ESOl class to a potential Chinese student (bought by his 'mates') as he had no adequate identity docs and wouldn't meet the funding requirements. Bit of a relief really as I wasn't sure how I'd have fitted him in to my available classes as he didn't have a word of English, and probably not much Chinese education either.

On the other hand, doing my non-attendance follow-ups at another college it was a positive experience to tell a clever and amusing student that although the Home office had said no, that was not an excuse not to come to class!
Justin Trullinger

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may not be directly related to this article, but the crackdowns on immigration have had a generally negative effect on a lot of FE colleges, from what I hear.

A friend who works in ESL in the UK has told me about staff reductions at his college due to new requirements to verify the immigration status of students.

The aggravating thing is, there's no reason to believe (no accusation) that they were previously teaching illegals- they just don't have the staff and infrastructure to run elaborate checks.

Best,
justin
Phil_b

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the big change for the new system is that institutions would have to monitor the attendance of students who have student visas...

It doesn't really affect where I work as we don't have any students on student visas. That's because they don't attract funding, and so the course becomes very expensive for them..

We often have to go backwards and forwards with the enrolment team over students' immigration status, to find out what the rules actually are.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I've taught people of dubious status. I've had high turnover of Portuguese (read Brazilian) students who worked at a particular local cafe. I still gave them chapter and verse about minimum wage though! Other examples such as a young Bangladeshi who was visiting Uncle but almost certainly working in the family restaurant, and that's just a few examples in addition to those waiting for Home Office clearance for refugee status. Some pretty horrible stories there too, as well as a few my instinct said weren't genuine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: