Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

British Council in Cairo - CELTA Teacher Training
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nstick13

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My English major friend said there are 13 tenses.

On an Expat forum someone just posted that they're paying 3000 LE for a flat for 10 days in Heliopolis. Must just be because it's short-term.

Any thoughts on the ease of getting high-speed internet?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliopolis would be a major commute (an hour+) even if it were cheap. It is probably a fancy furnished expat flat with AC, TV, etc... There are some fancy areas in Heliopolis.

As to high-speed internet... things could have changed, but don't count on it. Your only option is likely to be the neighborhood internet cafes and the speed varies slow dial-up to pokey DSL type speed. When I was there in 2001, I could have linked into AUC's internet which was a decent speed, but it was a shared telephone (with my landlord down the hall) which is very common. He said no...

You might want to ask BC what they have and if you are able to use it when you are studying there.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heliopolis is also where my Egyptian friend grew up, and where his family still lived. I have found much more affordable, furnished apartments there just looking on the internet.

Funny side story, I'm trying to help him expedite the process of acquiring his Green Card. He leaves March 25 and may not get it in time to have it with him when he goes on his trip, making it difficult to come back to the States.

Oh, and I wasn't looking at getting a ride BACK to the airport in a month, but rather on getting picked up if I am in at 2:30 in the AM. Regardless of how close I am to friends, that is not a way I want to make a first impression, and a burden that would annoy me if it could be avoided if the tables were turned. It's a moot point....just a tedious detail on top of all of it.

My lady friend just found out on Friday that she received a "Critical Language Scholarship" for Arabic for this summer. It's June-August in one of several locations, depending on her level. Everything is paid for. So, I am now looking at the July program at BC, with her doing October. I think this will help my chances in finding a job, and I'm anxious to get out of the state of Ohio anyway.

I was reading through the guide today, and one of the sections is on renting, and the prices were all pretty similar to what I figured, but the kitchens and bathrooms were always described as "awful" except for the most expensive places. Should I be expecting that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... have very low expectations. Laughing If you want to PM me an email address, I can send you some photos of some of my flats... that were considered VERY nice. Keep reminding yourself that this is a "developing" or "third world" country.

Don't worry about arriving at 2:30 in the morning. In the Middle East, one seems to always arrive at this time. There are plenty of taxis if you don't have a hotel that picks you up. I always used the "limos" that cost a more but are arranged near the luggage area - which avoids the scrum of taxi drivers that greet you when you exit - and they windows that rolled up (a real luxury and shockingly uncommon) and were usually Mercedes in decent shape.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS:
You'll have a PM. E-mails seems like the best way to continue the convo, since we're the only ones having it. I certainly check it more frequently than this site.
nstick13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I'm hoping for some additional help here.

I have submitted my application materials for BC in Cairo, but have not heard back from them other than saying that they received the materials.

Am I correct to assume that were I not qualified enough for an interview they would inform me of that, right?

I sent my application in around the first of this month, and the last I have heard from anyone there was the 3rd of March. I have changed the date of the program for which I will be applying from October to July, and am trying to find out ASAP if I can be accepted, so I can start taking care of flights, accommodation, etc.

I even called the woman with whom I have interacted and the main BC office today, and neither answered their telephones.

What's a guy to do?!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try calling BC Cairo and check the status there... and keep trying the other office.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you have an e-mail, too, VS.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes... I'm so behind... Embarassed

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I interview tomorrow morning....

And hopefully book a flight (finally) tomorrow afternoon....
nstick13

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fyi you've got mail VS.

ANYONE else have thoughts on BC in Cairo?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I answered it, but at the moment it is stuck in my inbox. ?? If it doesn't go out tomorrow morning when I turn the computer on, I will move it to another email account. Cool

VS
maccaliam

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondring if anyone has any (good or bad) experiences working for the BC in Cairo? If so, would you mind sharing?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but I doubt that we will have a poster show up with BC Cairo teaching experience. As you can see, there are not many people who come on from Egypt regularly. I was in Cairo during Tutankhamun's reign and used their wonderful library regularly. Over the years, there haven't been any complaints here, nor have I heard any good gossip from friends in Cairo. Cool

British Council is one of those employers that is almost always dependably a good employer anywhere in the world... rather like AMIDEAST in the Middle East. They will pay on time and while BC management sometimes has a reputation for being cliquish, it is predictable.

Naturally they prefer British passport holders, but I've known a few of other nationalities that did part-time for them in Cairo. I'd certainly take a contract offer from them without too much concern if I were in that market.

VS
nstick13

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll let you know after they hire me? Very Happy

It would be great though--I imagine they're one of the better employers in Cairo, based on the fact that I've had e-mails received and returned in a timely fashion, something I cannot say for other schools.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: