Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Etisalat University-What's the Deal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shebab

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:02 am    Post subject: Etisalat University-What's the Deal? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any inside information on this place? They are just starting up, and I've been shortlisted for an interview. Details will probably be sketchy until they are up and running in Sept, but thought someone might have some gossip to share. Want to avoid an Abu Dhabi University type situation at all costs! Evil or Very Mad
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2004 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Etisalat? Isn't that the name of the AD phone company or something?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindair

You are correct that it is the name of the telephone company, but apparently there is going to be a new university with this name.

http://www.etisalatuniversity.ae/

The website isn't that helpful. I didn't really check around that much on the site, but I recall that it was going to be in the university city complex in Sharjah. But, I could be confused - hard as that is to believe, I know. Smile

Shebab

It is another of the many new places with no reputation to work with yet. But, as I always say -- avoid the new places until you find out if they have any idea what they are doing. I would expect it to be like your current spot or even worse. But, I do tend to be pessimistic about new places.

VS
JCMach1

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:22 am    Post subject: They are building a nice campus (not yet complete) Reply with quote

right next to AUS...

There will be no telling what you might be in for. It could be okay... It could be a disaster.

Take the job if you like, but maintain a HEALTHY sense of adventure and expect growing pains (among others).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
Bindair

The website isn't that helpful.

Neither is the phone company. Smile

But the photo galleries are memorable; Gallery 1 is my favorite:

http://www.etisalatuniversity.ae/gallery1/index.html
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow

109 pictures of construction in progress --- perhaps they are mostly to appeal to engineering students? A touch dull for the rest of us. Smile

Unhelpful telephone company? Etisalat? You haven't tried to get a phone installed in urban American lately, have you--- Even the Kuwait phone company was more efficient. It is now easier, faster, and cheaper to get a phone installed in any gulf country than in the suburb of a major city in the US with Verizon.

VS
shebab

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, for a place that hasn't even started up yet, the Etisalat U website is far more professional looking than some of the outfits that have been in existance for decades! Shocked Furthermore, in all fairness, Etisalat U already exists as the lesser entity of the Etisalat College of Engineering, so it isn't an absolute beginner! Razz
jc2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 1:46 am    Post subject: Won't be opening Reply with quote

Word on the street is they've decided not to open, ever.

UAE has recently made moves to open up telecom to competition. Etisalat has decided it better concentrate on its core business.

Yes, it's true they looked very professional, their campus buildings look a notch above the competition and salaries being offered were high. But it looks like it isn't to be.

I'll update if the word on the street becomes clearer.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jc2

So what is the state of the construction then? I presume that they will try to sell the construction in progress to another college or uni.

Do keep us all informed.

VS
Globehopper

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I am curious about this place, too. Husband was interviewed for a computer science teaching position in Boston earlier this year. They have not reinbursed him for the travel expenses as of yet.

Perhaps this may be the reason why there's a delay. Does anyone else have more info?
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Globehopper wrote:
They have not reinbursed him for the travel expenses as of yet.

Perhaps this may be the reason why there's a delay.

Wanna buy a bridge? Wink
tefllifer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all fallen through at Etisalat - potential hires haven't necessarily been informed, but lots of people have been left high and dry, and i guess they have no comebacks on anyone.
That's what i've heard - anyone can back this up?
spicegirl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard the same thing, that Etisalat Uni won't be opening - some new recruits found out 'through the grapevine', but it has apparently now been confirmed (officially?). Don't know if all new staff coming in from overseas have been contacted and told yet. Presumably people already in the country have been told, though of course this is not necessarily the case. This is obviously Etisalat at its best yet! And there we all were thinking this might be a good place to work; a place to rival all the other private unis in the country! Plus ca change...

BTW, the website seems to have disappeared already.
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... sounds like Etisalams Very Happy

TH
rizwanafzal

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Cancelled Reply with quote

Yes, the university is no longer under Etisalat control. See the response below which I have received today from their recruitment department...

Dear Mr. Rizwan Afzal,

This is to advise you that Etisalat University has been taken over by the Government and is no longer under the ownership and/or control of Etisalat.

Under the circumstances, we are constrained to withdraw our employment offer to you and treat as cancelled all the arrangements for your recruitment to the University.

We deeply regret the inconvenience caused by this unexpected development and wish you the best in your future career.

Regards,
Selection & Recruitment Manager
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: