Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I.H.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lemke2020

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:15 am    Post subject: I.H. Reply with quote

What does I.H. stand for and how do you go about getting a job there?

Gracias
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IH stands for International House. It�s a franchise with many locations throughout the world and one of those locations is in Bogota (although they have a couple teachers working in a few other cities in Colombia).

As far as I know, they only hire teachers with CELTA or equivalent certs. At the moment, they�re the only language institute I know of in Colombia besides the British council that gets all of their teachers a work visa.

It�s possible to get hired from abroad, but to be honest I�m not sure how that is done...probably look for their posts on www.eslbase.com. It�s much easier to just show up in Colombia, give them your application, and get hired after an in-person interview.

Any other questions, let me know.
travelNick

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a few other schools also offer work visas. In fact, every school I've approached has offered me sponsorship for a visa.

Why would you like to work for IH specifically? Just curious.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

travelNick wrote:
Quite a few other schools also offer work visas. In fact, every school I've approached has offered me sponsorship for a visa.

Why would you like to work for IH specifically? Just curious.

There are certainly other schools that'll get you a visa, but as far as language institutes go it hasn't been my experience that there are many of them...I interviewed with 4 institutes and IH was the only one willing to do the visa, but maybe I just didn't go to the right ones. To be fair, the other three institutes were really sketchy. Of course, there are pleny of high schools or universities that will sponsor visas as well.

My point though, wasn't so much that IH is the only institute that will get you a visa, just that they're the only school I know of besides the British Council with 100% native, certified teachers who are all working legally. There's other schools that'll sponsor visas, but will they do it for ALL of their 30 or so foreign teachers?
lemke2020

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was curious about IH because I saw someone mention it. Right now I'm teaching in Vietnam but I learned Spanish while teaching in Spain and miss being able to speak the language. I think Medellin would be a good place to go based on things I've heard. What do you think? Seems like I can just show up and make it work like I did in Spain and Vietnam, but I can only stay for 6 months out of the year, right? How much money should I show up with?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can only stay 6 months out of the year on a tourist visa, correct. work visas are usually for a year, and from what I hear are easy to renew, provided your employer wants to keep you employed.

It'll be more difficult to find work in Medellin, but not impossible. I've never been to Medellin, much less looked for work there, so that's just what I've heard from others. There are a few Colombian chain schools, like Meyer Institute for example, that have locations throughout the country...if you're looking to get a visa and stay longer, it might be easier to nail a job with a school like that in Bogot� and have them transfer you to Medellin.

Personally, I would show up with at least $2000 USD.
lemke2020

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice licker.
Raindrops

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windowlicker wrote:

At least $2000, is that right? Confused

I have the tefl/tesl cert, a BA and a MBA, I am fluent in Spanish.
Is the month of September considered as a new semester in Colombia?
A good time for job hunting?
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raindrops wrote:
windowlicker wrote:

At least $2000, is that right? Confused

I have the tefl/tesl cert, a BA and a MBA, I am fluent in Spanish.
Is the month of September considered as a new semester in Colombia?
A good time for job hunting?

Not sure if you mean $2000 is too little or too much, but yes, that'd be my opinion. that would easily get you by in Bogota for two months if for some reason you couldn't find a job, plus would give you extra room for emergencies. Personally, I'm a bit conservative with money and like to play it safe.

Any time is good to show up in Colombia for jobs at language institutes. My opinion on getting jobs at high schools or universities is to not worry about what part of the year you arrive...get here, spend a few months getting to know people, work at an institute, make connections, figure out how things work, and then you'll have a much easier time finding the better jobs. If you show up at the "right time of the year," not knowing anyone here, and spend all your time looking for the more coveted school posts, you'll likely end up disappointed and blow through the savings you arrived with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: