Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Paris will be my new home

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Paris will be my new home Reply with quote

Heya

Just needed some advise really. I'll be moving to Paris in September from England.
How difficult will it be to get a job?
How do the French like English to be taught?
I have very basic French - will this matter?
bnix

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 4:28 am    Post subject: Some Advice... Reply with quote

If you are looking for ADVICE("advise" is the verb)....I suggest you check out other options in addition to France.A lot of people would LIKE to teach there.Unfortunately,wishing does not make it so.Don't put all of your eggs in one basket.Look at other places,too.Also, look at other options besides teaching TESOL.It is a very competitive field,,and one of those cert things(by itself) does not really cut much ice. Look at other things besides France,If you want to see France,maybe just go for a little vacation and forget about teaching there...I have fears you are going to be disappointed about getting a teaching job there.
rogan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: teaching in Paris Reply with quote

Yes it is competitive.
Yes it is difficult
You could possibly get a few hours in several places earning peanuts and racing from one place to another.

If your French is basic how will you rent a flat (with the little money that you earn)?

I agree with bnix - and I've been here 12 years and speak fluent French
scot47

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 9:33 am    Post subject: In France Reply with quote

Imagine that someone from France showed up in Britain or the USA. They have "basic" English and no experience or training in teaching French. What would be the chances of them getting a job teaching French ?

How is different with your totally unrealistic expectations of France ?
Shaman

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 2:33 pm    Post subject: Paris Reply with quote

The previous posters have made some very astute points. However, nothing is impossible. I was pretty much in the same boat as you, except I did it from Canada. Luckily, I had an EU passport and two years of experience behind me. I had myself sorted within a week. I admit that I had some pretty good luck. Still, it seemed that language schools were hiring on a continual basis. As far as language goes, take an intensive course before you go. You'll pick up (a lot) more once you're there a while. Check out the following links:

http://www.fusac.fr/
http://www.pagesjaunes.fr/

Take heart and good luck.
cheryl

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2003 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jin,

i don't think your goals are unrealistic. from your post, i can't tell whether you have qualifications other than being a native speaker of English below your belt. i do think qualifications are important for finding decent jobs that aren't "just about the money".

again, i don't think your goals are totally unrealistic...think of all those "native" English speakers with minimal proficiency in Japanese, Mandarin, or Korean who go overseas to teach English! i've even had a friend who simply went to korea (without a job secured) to see what he could get...he ended up staying there fore 2 yrs and loved it.

There are always people who are willing to help you do things, and if you can't find one of them, well then, take a phrase book with you!

i'm not saying your move will be easy, i'm just saying what you want to do is not impossible.

good luck
cheryl
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm aware Korea still isn't a member of the EU, therefore employment rules are very different.

France is a developed country with extremely sophisticated society and rules and regulations that can drive you mad.
There is no room for people who think they can "swing it".
Employment law is taken very seriously and it is very highly controlled.

EU passport = legal right to work.
No EU passport = no wprk.
NMB

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you talking about, Rogan? Can you please stick to the topic?? She is moving to France from ENGLAND. EU legalities are not an issue here.
Melblu

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Take heart Reply with quote

I believe that the answer to your question was given in another post on this site.

1) Get a CELTA if you don't have one. (You might even want to take on some volunteer work just to get some experience before you go. I don't know about the UK, but in the US, there are tons of free ESL classes for immigrants dying to get volunteer teachers).
2) Work on your French.
3) Be persistent. Get a list of schools and present yourself with all your papers in both languages until you strike gold.

Personality goes a long way, even if you don't have any experience. You know the French always say "Impossible n'est pas Fran�ais" - (Impossible is not French). Just keep at it.

As for how they want to be taught, it really depends on the school. I have taught in several French speaking country (and am off to France myself next year) - I have two passports, French and US, so things are a bit easier for me - some schools really emphasized grammar, others were more interested in business English. A CELTA would prepare you to handle most needs of a French School.

I hope this helps.
Good Luck to you.

Melissa.
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UK National working in France.
Private Language Schools -
will probably want a Degree plus TEFL qualification.
sometimes advertise and recruit year round
will probably pay from 8 �uros - 15 �uros per hour
will probably only have a few hours per week in different places

State system
maybe will accept you if you have a Degree that they accept as valid = requires translation and submission to the Relevent Dept at the relevent Rectorat at the relevent time of year.
could possibly offer stand in teaching on short term contracts when a "real" teacher is on extended sick leave if you have previously registered with them (cf above)
will NOT accept UK QTS for a permanent post in any State school = you need to pass the French CAPES to work as a permanent teacher. This requires applying at the right time of year, with the right qualifications and passing 3 days of exams, each of 4 hours.

The fusac site quoted is fine for temporary jobs, but v.limited for 'professional' work.
pagesjaunes is good for lists of lang schools - look under 'formation et enseignement'

My comments about EU/non EU followed a reference to Korea in an earlier post.
karenh

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Jin, I've been teaching English here in Paris for 7 years and have decided to try my luck in Rome in Sep. From what I've heard things in Paris are a lot easier. I've known lots of people who came with basic French and managed. You pick it up pretty easily. As for finding a place to live, if you try the fusac(a free mag for expats) or the notice board at the American church, these are geared for foreigners so the language barrier won't be as much a problem. As for teaching, it's true, there is a lot of running around and it is best to work for a couple of schools but there is a LOT of work, so you won't have any problems there. I have a degree and a CELTA but no-one has ever asked to see them!!! (I work at the university!) so it goes to show you that it's not that strict here. However, you've got to know what you're doing because if you get complaints from students(and the French can be very demanding) then you find your hours suddenly decreasing til you're forced to go elsewhere. I say go for it and if you need any more info send me an email. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: