Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advice for a new teacher looking for a job in France...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverboat

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Advice for a new teacher looking for a job in France... Reply with quote

Hi all

I'm a 26 year old Brit, with a degree in English literature, and having been given a year's leave of absence (Aug 09 - Aug 10) from my current managerial job in London, am hoping to spend my year in France, supporting myself by teaching English.

I've been accepted onto the month long CELTA course at International House in Paris which means that I'll spend August 09 doing a lot of practical teaching and (hopefully) end up with the CELTA qualification. Then, I'll be looking for a job...

I'm worried that the fact that I don't have any formal teaching experience (other than what I will gain on the course) will mean it will be very hard for me to find a job, either in Paris or elsewhere in France (I'm fairly open minded as to whereabouts in France I will spend the year). I've worked in education for many years, but on the admin/management side rather than doing practical teaching. (I do have bits of relevant experience - current job has involved training colleagues at work in various stuff; have worked alongside professors and teachers for many years so picked up quite a bit of stuff about the practice of teaching, but have no actual experience teaching english).

Basically my question for those in the know is: what do you think my chances of finding a job teaching English in France will be this September? I plan to email out my CV and cover letter to as many schools as possible over the next couple of months, and if that doesn't lead to anything, then hit the streets of Paris in person at the start of September to see what I can find. Is September a good time to actually look for jobs, or will all the schools have hired everyone they need by then?

I don't necessarily need to find really well paid or even full-time work, as I've got savings that I plan to use to help support myself during this year, but I am definitely going to need to get some sort of an income. And am starting to panic that maybe that won't happen!

Any and all advice much appreciated...
sally2005

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

In terms of your experience, I wouldn't worry - I came over to Paris in summer 2004 with a similar CV (English degree, management/business/adult training experience, CELTA, but no other English teaching experience) and I found that business experience + CELTA was what most interested the schools. As most work is with business people, you are probably seen as more attractive than someone with a couple of years' experience of teaching children, for example. I got lots of offers could choose the one that most appealed.

However, I've now been in the state sector for four years, so I have no idea how the market has changed since then, and if it's more difficult in general to get a job now that companies are cutting back. Maybe someone with more up to date knowledge can advise?
mesomorph

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The crisis can be good for teachers, some schools are employing more.

Teaching experience can be a big negative.

Potentially you would know more than the director of the institute and probably definitely more than your line manager, so if you are not a sleazy grovel dog servant they may think you arrogant/a threat/Satan/etc...

My work is full of amateur Machiavelli newbs hoping to crucify me any chance they get.

Thankfully they always just make themselves look like boobs in front of anyone that knows anything about anything.

So you are probably in a better position in a lot of ways.

PERSONALITY counts for EVERYTHING.

As far as prospective applications are concerned, I emailed ten institutes before leaving the UK and one of them gave me a job as soon as arrived.

I didn't even speak French at the time.

I left them after two weeks however. They were total dicks.

If you are highly motivated you could find work quickly.

However it could just be a couple of hours here and there.

In four months I found sixteen hours over three different jobs.

Just do everything you possibly can and there is a chance it could work out for you.

Do you speak French? Do you have your own transport? Do you like making coffee and chatting about absolute bullshit while grinning ear to ear like a freaking idiot?

If you have answered yes to any one of the above questions you have a high chance of finding work reasonably quickly.

Just be a shameless s1ut and you should fit right in anywhere.
mesomorph

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i forgot to say if you don't speak french just vary your responses between 'oui', 'ok', and 'je ne sais pas'

if those seem to be wrong then say 'bah non pardon', that should get you through, if it doesn't you're not similing/laughing enough

if you don't have your own transport just lie, tell a dodgy ethnic joke and get the bus

if you can't make coffee and chat about absolute bullshit while grinning ear to ear like a freaking idiot then slap your self in the face and try again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: