Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Private teaching in London

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woodlands100

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Private teaching in London Reply with quote

Hi - I'm looking to study the CELTA course in Vietnam over the summer and return to London to fit private teaching around a Masters degree. Does anyone have experience of private teaching in London - how easy is it to find students, what can I charge and will having the CELTA qualification be at all beneficial?

Thanks!
Northern Sol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Private teaching in London Reply with quote

Woodlands100 wrote:
Hi - I'm looking to study the CELTA course in Vietnam over the summer and return to London to fit private teaching around a Masters degree. Does anyone have experience of private teaching in London - how easy is it to find students, what can I charge and will having the CELTA qualification be at all beneficial?

Thanks!

London is full of EFL students but they are all signed up at registered schools. I have never tried to make any money by teaching them privately but my view is that you would be unlikely to make any money doing so.

The students tend to be tied into accomodation provided by their particular school who would take a rather dim view of you poaching their clients, as they make their money from providing one-to-one tuition for businessmen.

Students come in two basic types; short stay who might only be there a couple of weeks (not a reliable income base) and long term (who generally don't pay for individual tuition).

As a newly qualified teacher, you would struggle to get work at a school outside of the summer season. In Vietnam you would be guaranteed to get work because there isn't an oversupply of qualified native speakers but in London you would be a small fish in a big pond. I'm not sure how working at a school would be compatable with your MA in any case.

You could try teaching students at the university through word-of-mouth but I reckon (not based on experience) that you would only make pocket money this way and having the CELTA probably isn't going to change much.

You might some more helpful info on an overview of the EFL industry on this knol I wrote http://knol.google.com/k/gordon-brown/english-as-a-foreign-second-language/w71x4ifw3dyj/1#

and some useful links http://knol.google.com/k/gordon-brown/grand-list-of-articles-about-english-as/w71x4ifw3dyj/4#
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: