Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibility of observing EFL classes in London?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
riverboat

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Possibility of observing EFL classes in London? Reply with quote

Hi all,

I live in London, currently working 9-5pm in higher eduation managment. This August I'll be moving to France and taking the CELTA course, then looking for work teaching English abroad from September onwards.

Given that I haven't taught English before, I'd really like to observe a few classes before I launch into the CELTA, to get an idea of what to expect. I've emailed a lot of schools here in London to see if any would permit me to come and do this, but have had zero responses.

Does anyone here either have any advice as to the best way to find a school in London that would allow me to observe some of their classes in the next couple of months? I'd be happy to either sit quietly in the corner and pretend not to be there, or else provide voluntary help if that would be appreciated. I'd ideally like to find classes to observe on evenings or weekends given my working hours, but am not against taking a day off work to observe during the day if this is the only way.

If anyone reading this actually *is* teaching English in London at the moment and would consider having me attend a couple of their classes for observatinal purposes, then of course that would be hugely appreciated...
coledavis

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps there is something you could offer the school, from your knowledge of educational management, perhaps as a talk for staff development? That way, you've got something to trade with schools. Just a thought.
Northern Sol

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Possibility of observing EFL classes in London? Reply with quote

riverboat wrote:
Hi all,

I live in London, currently working 9-5pm in higher eduation managment. This August I'll be moving to France and taking the CELTA course, then looking for work teaching English abroad from September onwards.

Given that I haven't taught English before, I'd really like to observe a few classes before I launch into the CELTA, to get an idea of what to expect. I've emailed a lot of schools here in London to see if any would permit me to come and do this, but have had zero responses.

Does anyone here either have any advice as to the best way to find a school in London that would allow me to observe some of their classes in the next couple of months? I'd be happy to either sit quietly in the corner and pretend not to be there, or else provide voluntary help if that would be appreciated. I'd ideally like to find classes to observe on evenings or weekends given my working hours, but am not against taking a day off work to observe during the day if this is the only way.

If anyone reading this actually *is* teaching English in London at the moment and would consider having me attend a couple of their classes for observatinal purposes, then of course that would be hugely appreciated...

The summer season is the schools' busiest time so I can imagine that they simply can't be bothered right now.

Evening / weekend classes are extremely rare so you would have to give up a day's work.

When I used to work in York, we had this kind of request from time-to-time and it really wasn't a big deal. I suspect London schools get this kind of thing rather too often. If at all possible I would try a few schools outside the London area.
SueH

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try local FE colleges that do ESOL, but as Northern Sol says, it's a bad time of the year for language schools. During the summer period itself all sorts of teachers end up working so the schools might not be too keen on some of them being observed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: