Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

London teacher moving to Krakow..advice on Schools?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menace99

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 10:41 am    Post subject: London teacher moving to Krakow..advice on Schools? Reply with quote

Hi,

I am a london secondary school teacher moving to Krakow. I have a degree and PGCE, and decided to get out of the stress of teaching crazed lunatics in London so I did my CELTA. My questions are these: Can I use my PGCE qualification and secondary school experience in London,and combine it with CELTA to get a good job? Are there good schools you could recommend that would appreciate this experience?....I intend to move to Krakow about 20th July. Is this too late?

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks.
Harry from NWE

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: London teacher moving to Krakow..advice on Schools? Reply with quote

menace99 wrote:
Hi,

I am a london secondary school teacher moving to Krakow. I have a degree and PGCE, and decided to get out of the stress of teaching crazed lunatics in London so I did my CELTA. My questions are these: Can I use my PGCE qualification and secondary school experience in London,and combine it with CELTA to get a good job? Are there good schools you could recommend that would appreciate this experience?....I intend to move to Krakow about 20th July. Is this too late?

Any feedback would be gratefully appreciated

Thanks.

20 July won't be too late and your qualifications are more than good enough.

The problem is that Krakow is awash with people who want to live there and see teaching as a way to support themselves while they live there. In other words it is a buyer's market. Schools don't have to treat you well because they're drowning in CVs from people who want to work for them.

I would suggest that you consider Warsaw as a destination instead of Krakow. Here it is more of a seller's market (every September and October I get lots of calls from schools I once worked for or people I vaguely know asking me if I want some work). I would also suggest that you look at the international secondary schools in Poland (there are at least five in Warsaw alone). The pay is much better there and the schools tend (with one very noticeable exception) to be professionally run.
Khrystene

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also suggest you go in person to the school and see if you can't make an impression on the Methodologist or DOS. CV in hand of course.

You can also start sending them CV's now, but don't expect to get any replies until later in the year... maybe even as late as September.

Warsaw is also awash with teachers, so it's up to you. Wroclaw is a closed enclave from what I hear. Perhaps Gdansk is an option?

Worthwhile sending CV's to a number of places. DO NOT WORK AT INTERNATIONAL HOUSE. Smile

Good luck!
menace99

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 11:54 am    Post subject: Warsaw not an option, Polish girlfreind lives in Krakow Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies,

Good to know I have enough/correct qualifications. Unfortunately, my girlfriend who is Polish, now lives in Krakow and I will be joining her so I'm going to make a go of it. Sounds like it could be a mission getting a good job in Krakow but at least I know that now. I have applied to Lincoln School after reading their recent ad so fingers crossed. I have been in contact with the head teacher of the British School (international) in Krakow and he is happy to see me to give advice on that path - no jobs though. Other thing is a place called 'The Speed School' in krakow has been advertising - is this a Callan method school and if so, would this be a wise career move as I have heard differing opinions about working it?

Thanks again
Khrystene

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Warsaw not an option, Polish girlfreind lives in Krakow Reply with quote

menace99 wrote:
Thanks for the replies,
Other thing is a place called 'The Speed School' in krakow has been advertising - is this a Callan method school and if so, would this be a wise career move as I have heard differing opinions about working it?

Thanks again

Callan Schools are not necessarily 'bad career moves' but can be difficult to tolerate for too long if you're a proper teacher as you may find the method dull. Still, worth applying everywhere in my book. The more places you apply to, the better chance you have. Having a gf already settled there, means you will have a place to stay, a good thing, so hop to it! Smile
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Warsaw not an option, Polish girlfreind lives in Krakow Reply with quote

menace99 wrote:
Other thing is a place called 'The Speed School' in krakow has been advertising - is this a Callan method school and if so, would this be a wise career move as I have heard differing opinions about working it? Thanks again

If your idea of teaching is to say "repeat after me, where is the toilet" ten times, then go for Speed School. If not, steer well clear. I disagree here with Khrystene, IMHO not good on your CV. Not proper teaching, only drilling. Send your CV to as many schools as possible, see what replies you get and what they are offering. July is plenty of time to start pounding the streets, a lot of schools don't get serious until the end of September when they know how many students they're likely to have.
menace99

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: no Callan then...what about Greenfield Reply with quote

Thanks again for all replies. I respect the fact that opinions differ over Callan method - after doing some research I've decided not to go down that route. There are quite a few schools advertising in Krakow at the mo - anyone heard of Greenfield School?....Its website has a virus anyway, looks like the same one Lincoln School website had a couple of months ago. Strange?.....I have another question though: what's the going rate for a 1 bed apartment close to centre?

Thanks
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't be put off applying for Krakow! You have good qualifications, better than the majority of teachers here. Two examples of my experience getting jobs here:

I first arrived here midway through the academic year in 2006. I did a bit of pavement-pounding but not really as much as I could and should have. However, it turned out to be enough and I had a solid job of 25 hours a week within a couple of weeks. How? A CV that I had left with one of the more popular, easily accessible schools had been passed on to a less popular, less accessible school and they gave me a call. I went and did half a demo lesson (my first ever job post-CELTA) and got the job. My main competition was American and, for once, my Britishness was seen to be an advantage (less paperwork)!

I returned here in September last year. This time, I bombarded a few likely schools with my CV in June. Most didn't reply. Why should they if they don't need me? One did and asked me if I could come to interview. I said I couldn't as I was in Asia. Another got back to me soon after and basically offered me a job. Sure, this doesn't sound like an ideal method of recruitment. However, it did turn out to be a decent school, and I don't think the school has too many regrets either.

My key advice for you: get here mid to late-June. Put in the work around all the schools that appeal to you, and be available for demo lessons. You will be fine!
munchkin

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 6:39 am    Post subject: Chemist and Polish by descent although non-Euro Reply with quote

A chemist with six yrs as a substitute teacher in the states, adjunct faculty at two universities (one yr and a semester), ESL in Russia at a public school and private students; South Korea together with an online TEFL course (not CELTA, I know)
and am interested in teaching ESL as well as science.

Does anyone have any suggestions. I can arrive in July or the latter part of June, 2009.

Cannot pm yet as to not enough posts.
JPM

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi menace99

I'm an Englishman working and living in Krakow for four years now.

Like you, I have a degree (English degree) and a PGCE (FCE). Together with two years' adult ESOL experience in England, I decided to chance my arm without taking a CELTA. No problem. I'm seen as a well-qualified, professional teacher and have never had any problem getting decently-paid work at good Krakowian schools.

As regards location, my advice is to set up and stay wherever it feels good. Sure, the money's a little better in Warsaw but only 'cos the rents are too. IMHO, you'll be fine in Krakow. If you don't need to be here until September-ish, then why not leave it til then? Even the school receptions pretty much close down for August and I wouldn't expect much action 'til after then.

PM me if interested.
citizen X

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what is actually the best time to start sending your CV's to different schools: June, July, August, September?

I suppose if you send it too early they will forget about it till September.
wawawawonder

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, I thoroughly recommend putting a week or two of preparation in in June. Schools hire at this time for next year. The ones that aren't are generally less-prepared and you can make your own deductions from that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: