Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Celta in Peru?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pingouin59

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Celta in Peru? Reply with quote

Hola,

i will be coming to Peru around september. My fiancee lives in Lima. I have been a teacher for many years. I taught English in France and Spanish in the US. I am issued from a bilingual family. Father American and mother French. I have a Master's degree and I would like to knock at the doors of the Language institutes in Lima...after I passed a TEFL certificate in Peru. I have read so many tons of threads and posts and TEFL/CELTA web sites that my head is dizzy. I Would like to be able to work with students as well as adults and I am looking for a company well regarded by the Instiutes in Lima. Any idea where I should invest my 2000 bucks?

Gerard
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, no CELTA unless you work at Britanico for a year, then you can take it. They only offer it to their teachers.

If you're a qualified teacher, forget the institues, go to www.tes.co.uk and www.ibo.org and start applying to schools there.

Institues pay about 10 bucks an hour, Schools pay about 3k a month, dollars, plus benefits and flights

If you've got questions, email me at [email protected]

See my PM too
pingouin59

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: TEFL training Reply with quote

Thank you for your answer Naturegirl, you are always so quick to answer any kind of questions asked by newbies like me.
Yes , I do have teaching experience and I know that many institutes don't even care about wether you have a certificate or not.. or at least this is the case in Peru. As far as the other schools where they pay so well, what kind of credential do they expect you to bring on the table when you apply?
I believe a TEFL certificate plus my experience and fluency in English, French and Spanish would open more doors and if it does not here in Peru, it would in other part of the world when I decide to leave Peru.
I have browsed through many TEFL programs run here in Peru. Many of them offer the requisite 120 hours plus 6 or more hours teaching and practice and I really have a hard time making up my mind. Is there one or two programs that stand on top of the others? Are there places that you should avoid ? I would love to hear your feedbacks and if you don't want to criticize or praise openly any institution, please write me at [email protected].

Thank you
pingouin59

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: pm? Reply with quote

Naturegirl, what do I do in order to see your pm?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See at the top where it says Dave's ESL Cafe and to the right are blue words, like FAQ?
THe second line says you have X new messages, click on that.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schools that pay well, I can only really talk about LIma, usually pay 6 to 10 an hour. They ask for you to be reliable, willing to work strange hours, think early morning, late at night, travel to classes and be prepared. Many don't care about working visas. See my PM, I send you a list of places.

Doors will be open to you, but you have to work a lot of hours, I've never worked so hard, had so much and been so unhappy, which is why we're leaving Peru soon.

For the TEFL programmes, they're all pretty much the same and should stand up to scrutincy.

I just emailed you too.
gungediana

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturegirl it's sad that you're leaving Peru and that you feel you're not happy there.

Will you still be posting on this forum and helping newbies out etc?
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

Why don't you do CELTA before you arrive? I am sure you could do it where you are and the price would probably be much the same.

CELTA imo has the best name.

As far as working in schools is concerned apparently from 2010 the ministry of education will require new teachers to have a proper education qualification. I was told yesterday by the headmaster of my school. They don't know the details yet though.

I am sure you will find plenty of teaching work here in institutes though, or you can offer private classes.

When you get married you will be able to get your carnet independent of the schools and avoid border runs.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gungediana wrote:
Naturegirl it's sad that you're leaving Peru and that you feel you're not happy there.

Will you still be posting on this forum and helping newbies out etc?

Yep, still will be on the forums and updating the ULtimate Peru List regularly. DOn't know if we're leaving yet, still haven't applied for our visas.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luna Chica wrote:
As far as working in schools is concerned apparently from 2010 the ministry of education will require new teachers to have a proper education qualification. I was told yesterday by the headmaster of my school. They don't know the details yet though.

I am sure you will find plenty of teaching work here in institutes though, or you can offer private classes.

When you get married you will be able to get your carnet independent of the schools and avoid border runs.

Do they recognise overseas quals? I heard from one school that they don't.

Privates are good for moeny.

About your carnet, CE, after two years, you can become an immigrant, and no longer are reliant on anyone, work or spouse in order to stay here. Or do what I did, become Peruvian.
Luna Chica

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep they do. That is the beauty of doing CELTA rather than another TEFL, the quality is stringently checked by Cambridge and results and lesson plans etc have to be sent to England and the marking standardised. The cert is then issued by Cambridge - and everyone knows Cambridge! I don't know about TEFL, but when you do CELTA you get issued with the cert. as well as a synopsis of the items assessed and how you fared on each part of the course.

Anyone in the ESL world running a school should at least be aware of CELTA. If they didn't recognise it I would consider it a cowboy institution.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: