Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where oh where in Italy to check things out?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lovehappens

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Where oh where in Italy to check things out? Reply with quote

it seems there are so many different opinions about working in Italy. Besides having the euro passport everyone has such a different thing to say.

I have some free miles and hashing around in my head about taking a trip somewhere and checking things out Spain, Italy.ME Well, it's just a thought. In reality I'll probably make the decision right in front of my computer.
These are countries of which I have not previously visited.

If one were to go to Italy any suggestions of which schools for someone with a MA in journalism and 12 yrs of experience might want to check out.

If you are residing in Italy where is your favorite place to live?
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Where oh where in Italy to check things out? Reply with quote

lovehappens wrote:
In reality I'll probably make the decision right in front of my computer.
These are countries of which I have not previously visited.

Well, you might make a decision in front of the computer but no Italian company will! Have a more extensive browse of this forum and other Italy specific ones, but I'll take Spiral78's place in putting a bit of a dampener on your prospects here.

Come for a visit though and you'll get a better idea, and at least have a good holiday!
lovehappens

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:19 am    Post subject: How special are you? Reply with quote

Sue H you seem to made it there OK is it because you are very special?
I have a Master's and many other qualifications which you have no clue about so your tongue in check response is very odd.

I also wonder why you who are in Italy are on the ESL job board every single day. I would be doing a lot more than hanging out on the ESL board for people looking for jobs if I were already employed and living in Italy.
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: How special are you? Reply with quote

lovehappens wrote:
I have a Master's and many other qualifications which you have no clue about so your tongue in check response is very odd.

I also wonder why you who are in Italy are on the ESL job board every single day. I would be doing a lot more than hanging out on the ESL board for people looking for jobs if I were already employed and living in Italy.

Probably not the best tactic when new to a group, alienating regulars. Suggest you check out the numerous threads on nationality/passport/visa requirements for "old Europe" before you give helpful posters grief! Also, if you followed the Anderson House thread, you will see that in order to get this job my wife and I travelled to Italy at our own expense for an interview.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MA in an field unrelated to teaching or second language acquisition isn't necessarily considered a stellar qualification in areas where the job market is quite competitive these days.

As Glenlivet points out, your citizenship will be the more important consideration in the countries you mention, all of which essentially limit legal working papers in ESL teaching to EU member citizens.
SueH

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: How special are you? Reply with quote

lovehappens wrote:

Yes, I have a passport from an EU country. Nowhere did I comment on your qualifications, so perhaps you got out of bed the wrong side this morning.

PS: glenlivet, ta.
EvilTwin2000

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow--talk about biting the hand that feeds you. Or tries to.

I'm shocked. You long-timers seem to be taking it more in stride. Deja vu?

Sue, I've always appreciated whatever you've had to share. And I'm sure I'm not alone on this. Thanks.

I can't think of anything else to say that wouldn't breach decorum.
Betti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, it's the same old chestnut doing the rounds again. I've always found other teachers on this forum very helpful and there's plenty of advice here for non-Europeans. I really dislike it when us 'old-timers' seem to be held responsible for global immigration issues. There seems to be a minority who feel that those of us scratching a living in Italy don't want other people to come here. That is definitely not the case. I value the advice and opinions of my fellow teachers and, personally, am always happy to give help and share ideas. As a non-EU member it WILL be difficult but not necessarily impossible to find work. Past experience in other fields can be useful but an appropriate teaching certificate will probably open more doors (in professional organisations, anyway). A knowledge of Italian (however basic) also helps. Language schools don't require it, but to live and participate in your place of choice, it sure does help.
pinkpig

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Roman Forum, a magazine for English speakers and expats has an article about the practicalities of teaching English in Italy:

http://www.theromanforum.com/?p=4111
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: