Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How difficult for a US citizen?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nmarie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: USA citizen/chemist/with experience teaching Reply with quote

munchkin wrote:
A chemist with teaching experience in the public schools in the USA as a substitute; adjunct faculty instructor for chemistry labs at a university

Why not look into international schools and teach your subject of expertise - chemistry?

These types of schools may or may not be able to sponsor a visa, but it's certainly worth investigating.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it may be difficult to get a work visa and make things work out but keep positive.

I suggest that you do not listen to those 2or 3 people and find some more constructive information from people who are willing to aid and are not threatened by newcomers or control freaks.
Look at some other boards where there is not such negative vibes. I did and found some excellent information as to how to make it all work out. My fiance is on his way to Spain right now and will be checking things out.
There are some great "other" boards on the net where you will get much more positive and helpful feedback

Please do keep us posted on what your fiance finds when he gets to Spain in terms of getting legal work permits. If there are legal options, I promise I'll be the first to point them out to newbies who inquire.

However, if by 'positive and helpful' you mean 'how it's really ok to live and teach illegally' then I'll always staunchly disagree. I've personally seen people who got caught, through bad luck alone, and I'll never advocate that it's an insignificant risk.
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And, just to be clear, I'm in no way threatened by newcomers. C'mon over! I've got a permanent contract in a very secure situation, and I'm quite happy to help out newbies who can make the transition legally - whether they are UK citizens (to whom the whole EU is open) or non-EU citizens, whom I'm quite happy to support in their quest to go to some European country where they can work legally, like the Czech Rep, Poland, or Slovakia.

I'm entirely positive and helpful so long as the newbs are seeking to work in a country where they can do so legally (and therefore, relatively safely).
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First of all it is very suspect to me that these people who say they are working over there and are established spend everyday on this board just to tell others that they have no chances. So it may be difficult to get a work visa and make things work out but keep positive.

Why is it suspect? I check Dave's about once a day and answer questions if I can. Why? Only because if I can help, I will. I imagine Spiral's motives are much the same, though you'd have to ask Spiral yourself about that.

The problem with Europe / the USA is that citizens of one can't easily work in the other. If you've got dual nationality or are married to a citizen, great. If not, you either face the work visa bureaucratic mess, or you get to work illegally.

If I were to work illegally in Oregon, what might happen to me? Possible deportation? No work rights? Exploitation? Lack of health care? Inability to open a bank account? Constant looking over my shoulder so I don't get picked up and have my non-existent papers checked? Imprisonment before I get deported? All these things are also risks in Europe, though maybe the police will be nicer to you, who knows. They're risks which you may / may not find acceptable, but the added bonus of breaking immigration law in Italy is that you then get banned for (I think 5 years but it could be longer) from ALL Schengen countries. So bye-bye visits to Spain, Germany, Portugal, Netherlands, Greece etc.
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: To Munchink Reply with quote

lovehappens wrote:
Your qualifications like mine are very good. There are some on here that seem to live on the boards every minute of the day to tell people that they can't'....
First of all it is very suspect to me that these people who say they are working over there and are established spend everyday on this board just to tell others that they have no chances. So it may be difficult to get a work visa and make things work out but keep positive.

I suggest that you do not listen to those 2or 3 people and find some more constructive information from people who are willing to aid and are not threatened by newcomers or control freaks.
Look at some other boards where there is not such negative vibes. I did and found some excellent information as to how to make it all work out. My fiance is on his way to Spain right now and will be checking things out.
There are some great "other" boards on the net where you will get much more positive and helpful feedback.
Peace!

So you don't like the advice you have been given, this is your perogative. Feel free to ignore it but be aware of the potential risks involved of ignoring people who are "on the ground". If someone is stupid enough to travel several thousand miles to work illegally I certainly don't regard them as competition for the sort of jobs I'm interested in.

You have alluded a couple of times to the time that some participants of these forums (fora) spend here. I start teaching everyday at 6.30am and work until somewhere between 8.00am and 10.30am. I then have no classes until 3-4pm when I then teach until 5.30-7pm. This gives a break of between 4 and 8 hours in the middle of the day, quite normal in this line of work. I live in a small town in Poland which isn't exactly brimming over with things to do so I browse here, watch the TV etc. This is generally not a 9-5 occupation hence the irregular times people post.

Europe is finally tightening up it's act as far as illegal working is concerned, one of the few positive aspects of the EU in my opinion. In comparison, Australia is much tougher on immigration. For an Australian company to sponsor a foreign worker for a visa, they have to prove that they cannot recruit a suitable Australian citizen, so preserving jobs for their own people. I don't like this as it prevents me from working their but I accept it and have never worked illegally when I have been there (this means I can still get a visa to go back whenever I want as I haven't been deported).

Don't shoot the messenger because you don't like the message. If you can come and work here legally, good luck. If not, don't come. Or take the chance if you want but be aware of the consequences.

'nuff said.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: To Munchink Reply with quote

Glenlivet wrote:
If someone is stupid enough to travel several thousand miles to work illegally I certainly don't regard them as competition for the sort of jobs I'm interested in.

As I'm semi-retired and work part-time in local state schools that applies to an even greater degree in my case - I really don't give a stuff. Plus as I'm on the computer for other reasons it really doesn't take long for a quick break to post here: at the moment I'm waiting for my pasta water to boil.

Petulant and paranoid monarchs throughout history have killed the messenger, so I take these suggestions as reflecting more on the people who make them. Perhaps it's the sort of thing _they'd_ do..
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm currently more at the computer than in the classroom - working on curriculum development. Dave's is an interesting quick mind-break. This is often my situation, using the forum to give myself a break from concentration on projects.
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah asians thought since i was a "white" from new york city i'd be white like george bush. but i'm white rather like tony soprano. i.e. no anglo-saxon ancestry here! Cool
eclectic

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigel wrote:
[
All four in Asia, where we're nothing more than glorified babysitters. I'm sick of working in Asia. Give me a class of students that actually cares enough to exert the necessary effort.

**HIT THE KIMCHI NAIL RIGHT ON THE HEAD*** Very Happy Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: