Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non EU citizens in Italy.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Non EU citizens in Italy. Reply with quote

Below are some quotes from "Teaching English Abroad" by Susan Griffith (2009 edition, I recommend this book to anyone starting out, lots of good, useful information. ISBN 978-185458440-3). They outline the potential for non EU residents in Italy and have no connection with the "doom and gloom" merchants on this forum!!

Quote:
At the other end of the spectrum, there is a host of schools which some might describe as cowboy operations, though these are decreasing in number. The CELTA is very widely recognised and respected in Italy (unlike in France, for instance). US qualifications are much less well known for the simple reason that work permits are virtually impossible for non-EU citizens to obtain.

Quote:
As mentioned above, non-EU citizens have very little chance of getting their papers in order unless they are dual nationals or receive a firm offer of a job while they are still in their home country, According to the Italian Embassy in Washington, language teachers from the US need a visa for lavoro subordinato. To qualify they must first obtain from their employer in Italy an authorisation to work issued by the Ministry of Labour or a Provincial Office of Labour (Servizio politiche del lavoro) plus an authorisation from the local Questura,The originals of these plus a passport and one photo must be sent to the applicant's nearest embassy or consulate. These procedures can take up to a year to complete and as Carla Valentine, an English teacher in Venice points out; 'no school director in his right mind is going to bother going through that process when there are plenty of British teachers here who can work without visa red tape' It is for this reason that so many Americans and other non-EU citizens work in Italy without work visas. However, there are two legal alternatives for US citizens. The first is to go to Italy as a student, which allows you to work for up to 20 hours a week (enough to live on). This is the route that Carla took:
Quote:
Getting a student visa is very easy. I paid $500 to enrol for a year at Instituto Venizia to learn Italian.
With a letter of enrolment from the school I was able to get a student visa from the Italian Consulate in Boston for one year (whether or not I attend class is irrelevant, although obviously I do).
Quote:
The second option is to become an Independent contractor. This involves registering for the equivalent of VAT (Partita IVA) from the local town government To get this number, you simply need a codice fiscale (tax 10 number), which is available from the local town hall upon presentation of a passport. With this number it is possible to obtain the Partita IVA from the municipal authorities. With these numbers it seems that you can find work and get paid, even though technically without a permesso oi soggiorno you are still an illegal immigrant Australians and New Zealanders can take advantage of working holiday schemes, which allow a 12-month stay, although holders are not meant to work 'or more than three months.

Last edited by Glenlivet on Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Very nice of you to go to the trouble, as this obviously doesn't impact you, Glenlivet.

Though I suppose there may be those who will question your motives - that seems to be the prevailing trend among those who want to always walk on the sunny side of life, regardless of reality Smile
Glenlivet

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Brilliant. Very nice of you to go to the trouble, as this obviously doesn't impact you, Glenlivet.

Though I suppose there may be those who will question your motives - that seems to be the prevailing trend among those who want to always walk on the sunny side of life, regardless of reality Smile

My pleasure. I've edited my original post to include the ISBN number of the book, required reading for anyone considering a career in TEFL. I bought the 2005 version when I started off three years ago and have found it invaluable.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Student visas aren't that easy. In addition to showing that you have 1K uSd a month to support yourself, you'll also need to show that your health insurance covers you for Italy, or buy health insurance for Italy. So it adds up
dirimini

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the original posting; methinks I should get me hands on this book.
Marquess

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Non EU citizens in Italy. Reply with quote

[quote="Glenlivet"]Below are some quotes from "Teaching English Abroad" by Susan Griffith (2009 edition, I recommend this book to anyone starting out, lots of good, useful information. ISBN 978-185458440-3). They outline the potential for non EU residents in Italy and have no connection with the "doom and gloom" merchants on this forum!!

[quote]

Of course - they have a book to sell.

I bought the book back in the early nineties. I also bought a book by the same author entitled something like-internships ın USA and they said the same thing about Brits getting internships without the problem of work permits. I only ever got one reply to all my applications and the reply was that it was impossible. Still no doom and gloom from Susan Grıfıth.
christine13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Non EU citizens in Italy. Reply with quote

Today I skimmed through a 2006-ish edition of Susan Griffith's book. It had a super-large section with a list of language schools in each country along with an overview of the benefits, courseload, and nationality requirement for each school. I only looked at Western and Central European countries, but most countries had at least a few dozen schools listed. Much better than the edition of the book I'd read that was published a decade or more ago that didn't include these nifty lists.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: