Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The New York City Thread
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: The New York City Thread Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NYCESOL11211 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:56 am; edited 5 times in total
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: urk! Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NYCESOL11211 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

sweeney66

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! Thats about what I thought but you are the first to confirm. Planning to come home in about a year. ESL teaching is the most fun I've ever got paid for, and I would hate the thought of having to do a different kind of job. I feel that I have the right qualifications, just wondered about the market and paperwork. I'm looking at the non-profit adult sector, as that's where I feel I do my best teaching. Paid for prep? I never imagined such a thing! Glorious!
Zahara

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post! I have been teaching ESL in NYC for close to a decade, and I think you have given a concise, accurate picture of the available jobs in NYC.
guangho

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCESOL11211 wrote:
One More Thing...

I forgot to add that tutoring is a viable way to earn money in NYC. I charged more per hour here than I did in Korea. But, tutoring sucks and I hate doing it. If you don't mind it, it isn't hard to make $60 or more an hour from Samsung princesses.

Hi there

I tried to get in touch earlier. I'll be in NYC soon.
dimagella

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Question Reply with quote

First off, thanks for such a detailed post about the NYC market as I am really in need of some info/advice on my next move.

My background is that I taught english in japan for a private company for a year and 3 months, and then did private tutoring for 4 months. So my last really structured teaching experience was in 2006, but I was doing the private lessons until may of 2007 when I returned to NYC.

Now I am desperately trying to get some kind of steady interesting work, but when companies see my resume they see my two years of teaching they figure I'm not qualified for anything but receptionist/secretary work. However, when I apply for teaching jobs, I get no callbacks or response to my resume. Admittedly I have only applied to a few, b/c to be honest I really need a refresher but my bills are pushing me to find the highest hourly paying work possible. And teaching seems a better option than my previous office work.

So my question is, is it worth it to try to save up for a CELTA or some such so I can get the 30-40$ an hour jobs, or should I just try looking in a different field altogether. I hear proofreading pays decently, and those classes are much cheaper but I think a CELTA would also allow to go overseas, which I may consider doing again.

Thanks in advance for any and all thoughts.
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Certificates Reply with quote

deleted

dimagella

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied to Kaplan, and two other places on Craigslist. I thought Zoni wanted some certification in addition to overseas experience but maybe I read their ads wrong. I hadn't considered the other two, I will check those out. Just curious, did you do grad school for TESOL or for soemthing else? I have been mulling grad school, but honestly I don't want any more debt so I'm against it for the moment.

I have seen Berlitz hiring, but for $13.33 an hour, that's not much more than what I do temping. I will look into your other suggestions though, thanks a ton!
Sugar Magnolia

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

How are things now with our current economic circumstances?

Silver Stevens
allykaty

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dimagella wrote:
I applied to Kaplan, JFK International Airport, and two other places on Craigslist. I thought Zoni wanted some certification in addition to overseas experience but maybe I read their ads wrong. I hadn't considered the other two, I will check those out. Just curious, did you do grad school for TESOL or for soemthing else? I have been mulling grad school, but honestly I don't want any more debt so I'm against it for the moment.

I have seen Berlitz hiring, but for $13.33 an hour, that's not much more than what I do temping. I will look into your other suggestions though, thanks a ton!

Actually, $13.33/hour isn't bad with times like these. Many of us would be happy to be even making $10/hour. Times are tough, for sure!
Crying or Very sad
NYCESOL11211

PostPosted: Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by NYCESOL11211 on Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
allykaty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCESOL11211 wrote:
allykaty wrote:
dimagella wrote:
I applied to Kaplan, , and two other places on Craigslist. I thought Zoni wanted some certification in addition to overseas experience but maybe I read their ads wrong. I hadn't considered the other two Broadway Tickets, I will check those out. Just curious, did you do grad school for TESOL or for soemthing else? I have been mulling grad school, but honestly I don't want any more debt so I'm against it for the moment.

Actually, $13.33/hour isn't bad with times like these. Many of us would be happy to be even making $10/hour. Times are tough, for sure!
Crying or Very sad

The job market for Teaching ESOL in NYC isn't worse it was three years ago. Not saying its good, but there are still jobs for those who are qualified.

Actually you are right and there will always be a need for ESL teachers.
LA is quite similar and may even have a more jobs to offer though the pay may not be as good.
Buena Suerte!
hibapkev

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have any info on Hello World Language Center on Park ave.? I have an interview there tomorrow and would like a little more info on the place. Salary? overall attitude? work week? &c.

Thanks
timothypfox

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NYCESOL11211, I never heard about making $60 or more per hour with Samsung princesses. I did teach a two person private for $20 per person or $40 for the 2 of them for an hour. But, my opinion is that these classes rarely last and you have to constantly needle your students to confirm and also deal with last minute cancellations. Then there is the overhead cost of photocopies if you have to pay out of pocket, and the table rental (i.e. cost of a drink or drinks in a coffee shop to sit at a table).

Seriously though when I did coffee shop teaching in NYC, I focused on the demographic I had the most experience with at the time - Japanese. I put up flyers in Japanese supermarkets and convenience stores and bookstores. After waiting and playing around with my price - students started to call me when I advertised $20 - $25 an hour.

If you did the same in Korean shops, I'm not sure what the price would be but either way you'd have to kind of hustle around putting up flyers and then putting them up again. (I've actually seen some teachers hand out flyers in to people walking by in Korea town - not sure if this is very effective or not...)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: