Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How to break into the French market?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
While I was out

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 11:06 am    Post subject: How to break into the French market? Reply with quote

Hello, I'm thinking very seriously of moving back to Europe. I've been working in Asia and the Middle East for about 4 years now and feeling a bit tired of it. I fancy moving to France, as I worked in France in my early 20s and can parlez vous un petit peu Very Happy. My written French is not really up to speed but I read reasonably well. I'll be making the move with the wife, a Thai national. She is one of the reasons I want to move, I pity the little darling as being a woman in the ME is not much fun.

So advice is what I'm looking for. How best to break into the French market? I don't have any outstanding teaching qualifications, an unrelated BA, TESOL and some City and Guilds Certs that nobody gives a toss about. I will be starting an MA TESOL this Sept/Oct, already been accepted. Should we take our holiday in France and look for work then, maybe while studying a little French for a month. Or should I just apply to jobs on this site and TEFL.com, taking them site/sight unseen?

While money is important, happiness is more important, so I don't necessarily have to be breaking the bank. Ideally I would like to work in a college or university. Wouldn't we all.

So what would people advise? How would you go about finding a job in France with my quals (lack of), what salary will I be looking at with my experience? Has anyone moved back to Europe with a Thai wife, how did you find the whole Shengen visa situation? I'm happy to be in almost anywhere in France, within reason. Somewhere nice would be...nice.

I'm a UK cit if that is important.
While I was out

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What, not even any abuse? Very Happy
spiral78

PostPosted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In today's European economy, probably all the teachers in France are out working 3 jobs, trying to make ends meet - little time to post!
While I was out

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha. Thanks Spiral. Probably not the best time to be changing jobs then.
dgroovey1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got married to a French gal. I went to Paris and had a job offer from the typical low paid WSI, but the hours would have been fixed. I also had a job offer from a higher end private company catering to business/retail clients. 20 euro per hour with atleast 20 hours per week, but likely more.

I had no experience, just a BA back here from Canada, and an online TEFL certificate.

Point is, get there, research some places, hit the street as I did, and you'll find opportunities. Unfortunately, I did not stay but it wasn't for a lack of work opportunity. Mind you, it's freaking expensive to live in Paris, and if you live in the suburbs, paying for the unreliable train is expensive too.
dgroovey1

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also.... in the trying economy, what do people who are struggling to find work generally want to do? They want to increase their employability, and many now realize that if they have English, the business language of the world, they will be better off.

My personal opinion, which may be way off base.... is that in times of recession, people aren't going to cut back on their languange learning, they'll increase it so it helps them find a job.
While I was out

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dgroovey1, thanks for the motivational talk, you have encouraged me to look again.

As you say, rents in Paris are probably astronomical, would it be a better option to look in another city or the countryside?

What's the job market like for non-EU cits? I dout there is much available for a non-French speaker.
Van Gogh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Working in France Reply with quote

A bit late maybe, but I would (a) find the area I wanted to live & work and then (b) apply to inlingua, invest in their training program, get in some hour/years practice. Improve your french and then wait and see what life offers. a and b can be reversed. Bon Chance
While I was out

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Van Gogh, I've been looking at the inlingua site and took the French test. Not too bad (medium), not having spoken/read French in a few years.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: