Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Requirements for getting a job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kidkanada

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Requirements for getting a job Reply with quote

Okay, here is the deal: I been traveling round SE Asia for a few months here, just bumming around. Ill be in Veitnam in a couple weeks and i realized hey, i want to teach for 4 or 5 months.

So what are the requirments? Im 24, male, Canadian, quite handsome i must say, with no BA. If i go to Hanoi or Ho Chi Mihn can i get a job pretty easy? Are there jobs where i dont have to teach a thousand kids at once tho? Kids kinda scare me and i think i scare them. Id be okay with 20 kids.

And depsite my joking around, i am quite serious about this. Thanks
quoc_viet03

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will be able to land jobs easy at the smaller schools.. just ask around, they're everywhere. i'd estimate pay around 8-12 usd, maybe higher if you're lucky, but without a BA and TEFL certification your choices are limited. still, 8-12 USD an hour, at about 20 hours a week, gets you living like a king in ho chi minh city
tiggerpoo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Repeat Reply with quote

The information below was stated before in an earlier forum.

It is not difficult to find work in HCMC teaching English. There are many schools that don't require any certificates or a degree. Many times experience is more valuable than certificates. However you will be limited in pay and your choices of who and when you teach. Without any certificates and limited experience you should expect 10 -12 USD/hour, and many times working with children in the evenings and weekends. Schools that require some sort of CELTA or TEFL pay between 12-18 USD/hour depending on experience. A few schools do require a degree as well as CELTA or TEFL and you can expect better working hours and from 15-18 USD/hour. Most school offer 20-25 hours a week. You don't need any special visa to teach, just a tourist, but a few schools will require you to get a work permit if you decide to work long term. The best way to find work is once you arrive, start looking up English schools and contact them both by phone and in person. Many schools are hiring year round. You might have to wait a few weeks for positions to open up or take a job you might not like before getting something more permanent or more to your liking.

Some of the better schools are ILA, ACET and RMIT but there are a lot of English schools in HCMC.
kidkanada

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2004 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks guys. im in Hanoi right now and ill try looking up some schools here or in HCMC. Maybe browse some adds on this site too. Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: REQUIREMENTS FOR GETTING A JOB Reply with quote

I was offered several teaching position in Ho Chi Minh city - without a Degree, without qualifications and without experience.

I have now been teaching in China for the past seven months.

I have some contacts in Saigon if you would like them but remember that you cannot get a job over the Internet - YOU HAVE TO FRONT UP TO THE SCHOOLS.

Best of luck
kidkanada

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rhonda, I have sent you a private message.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Vietnam All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: