Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Misr Language Schools,- Int'l American School in Cairo(GIZA)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
akolsky1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Misr Language Schools,- Int'l American School in Cairo(GIZA) Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info on this School? I tried searching for info about this school on this site, but only saw one for a diff. location. This one is located in Giza. I got an interest in hiring me, but i tried to negoatiate up on the salary-- politely of course--and have not heard back--I emailed them on Mon. night. I just thought I might hear from them, even if it was a negative. I just hope they weren't turned off, I just asked, but did not demand anything. Really want to be in Egypt, esp.near the Pyramids, so if anyone has any positive info about this school, that would surely help me out--maybe I could live w/ the USD salary they are offering since I also get LE for accommodation and travel expenses.
Thanks,
A
nstick13

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than the job post that I assume you (and I) replied to, I have not heard anything. I just know, from my brief stay there in the past and the Egyptian friends I have, that things do not move near as efficiently there as they do in the states.

Hope it works out!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
akolsky1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks--it is just hard to wait when one would think if they are scrambling for teachers, they would want to make the process go faster. I has asked about negotiating up the salary, but have not heard back--even if it was a negative I thought I would have received a reply. Really want to teach in the ME.

Good luck to you too!

Best,
Amy
pyramidlover

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have worked there. Forget about making more than they offer. There is a lot of responsibility with the job as you will be a class teacher. Also depending on where you live the housing might only cover half your rent. They only pay half of travel as well. Do not be suprised if they do not offer more.

Good Luck,
P
justcolleen

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you only emailed them Monday night you have to give them a minute to wake up to their Tuesday and look at their email account. There is a time difference to consider.

Schools such as this one are just now finishing their academic year, if they haven't already. The 2009-2010 academic year won't start (for the vast majority of schools) until after Ramadan and Eid, meaning later in September. More than that, foreigners in general often choose to settle in Cairo over the other locations in Egypt so schools can be a little choosier if that's what they want to do.

This is also shopping season in Egypt, meaning this is the time of year teachers, in general, are looking for other schools - sometimes because they want to leave where they're at, other times because they want to see what the market is like and whether they can improve their teaching conditions and salary. The chances that a school will make a decision now are slim to none. Instead, they will wait for the CVs to pile up then weed through them, probably in July.

My two piesers of advice: If you want to live and work in Egypt, you have to accept that Egyptian time moves much more slowly than it does in the rest of the world. "Five minutes" never means "five minutes," but does mean "Insh'Allah" (if God wills it) and/or "fil mish-mish" (in your dreams) and/or "sometime before 1:00 tomorrow afternoon" so, seeeeeeeeeeeriously, take your eyes off of your watch and your calender because it will only give you fits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: