Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Age limits in Colombia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:33 am    Post subject: Age limits in Colombia Reply with quote

Are there teachers over 45 years in Colombia, or difficult?

Ghost
windowlicker

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know several teachers who work in institutes who are over 45. I don�t know about high schools or universities, but imagine being over 45 wouldn�t be a problem there either.
ghost

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Los seniores en Colombia Reply with quote

Muchas gracias por su informacion.

In your opinion, which city in Colombia offers the best quality of life for teaching and life in general - Bogota, Cartagena, Medellin, Cali or other?

Ghost
spanglish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll try to weigh in here.

Bogota will give you the most opportunities for work and you'll meet lots of interesting people doing things really interesting stuff (international orgs, the UN, government work, executives, big time managers). The city is very open to foreigners, has lots of energy and is generally a very stimulating place to live. There's also the opportunity to make lots of friends and just hang out in general with foreigners and Colombians.

I chose to live and work in Bogota for those reason. Now, though I'm sick of it. Bogota is a very tiring city to live in. Constant traffic (which is excaberated for me because I do on-site coporate teaching), pollution, noise, crime.

I was bored in Medellin, but now wouldn't mind going back. The weather is warmer, they've got a metro and crime seems to be less of an issue (hence people are a little more relaxed and trusting, people aren't trusting in Bogota, though nice once they get to know you).

I can't comment on Cali or Cartagena, but think you'll have a bit of a difficult time finding work in Cartagena.

You should consider cities in el eje cafetero - Manizales particularly has lots of universities and is quite a unique looking place. Bucaramanga is another option - down to earth nice people, ideal weather, low cost of living (but lower salaries), a little smaller.
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

agreed with spanglish...tiring is a perfect way to describe Bogota.

Whether you should look elsewhere though depends on your qualifications and how much savings you have to support you while you look for a job. With patience, experience, and qualifications, you could find jobs in lots of places in Colombia, provided you have a decent grasp of Spanish to meet the right people.

Basically, if you have a teaching credentials that allow you to work in a high school or something in your home country, definitely start by looking outside of Bogot�. Otherwise, (in my opinion) your best bet for getting a good job outside of Bogota is coming to Bogota first and getting a job here, then getting to know the country a bit, figure out how things work, meet people who can help you find other jobs, use the work visa that you got from your job in Bogot� as a selling point on your resume/in interviews, and move after a while.
ghost

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:34 am    Post subject: respuesta Reply with quote

Muy bien, y muchas gracias otra vez por su respuesta que me ha dado una buena idea del ambiente profesional en Colombia.

Este verano, tengo planes de ir a Colombia para descubrir el pais. En que meses estan cerrado las Universidades?

Muchas gracias.

Ghost
windowlicker

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not all english teachers in Colombia speak spanish, so you might get more responses if you keep your questions in English.

I don't think the universities are ever closed for more than a couple weeks at a time (except at Christmas when most of them are closed for a full month or more), and when they close is usually staggered a bit so they're not all closed at exactly the same time. But yeah, summer vacation is more or less the same as the US so like May through August, but they have summer classes going on so the schools are still open.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: