Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New to this forum

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PBEnglish

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 12:41 am    Post subject: New to this forum Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, so I'd thought I'd take a moment to throw out some general questions for those willing to help a newbie.
I guess first off, some basic information about myself. I'm 31, male, a dual citizen (E.U and Canada), and have taught overseas for 5 years, most recently in Asia. I hold a B.A in communications and also I am TESOL certified.
I've worked for three years in South Korea (one in a soul-sucking hagwan, or private institute) and two in an university. I'm tired of Korea and would like to move on.
I've been offered a teaching position in a school in Trieste. I've done some research on Trieste, but I'm wondering what people who live there (or in the area) think of the city. How friendly are the locals to foriegners? Things like that. I do know that it's a smaller city, but frankly, after dealing with the headaches of living in Seoul, I'm looking forward to a slower pace of life.
Also, if anyone can give me any advice on things such as cost of living, general working environments (I know that things change from place to place, I'm just trying to get a feeling for what most people experience) and any other advice, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks!
(P.S. Sorry if this message is rambling or not very coherant. Just woke up and my brain isn't firing properly yet)
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't help specifically about Trieste, but I've never heard anything bad about it. Perhaps Jan Morris' book might help you get a feel for the atmoshere of the place:
TRIESTE AND THE MEANING OF NOWHERE
Jan Morris
Simon & Schuster
Travel
ISBN: 0743201280

I'm sure you'd find plenty to interest you, and the mountains aren't far either.
PBEnglish

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers! I'll check it out. I appreciate the advice.

PB

SueH wrote:
Can't help specifically about Trieste, but I've never heard anything bad about it. Perhaps Jan Morris' book might help you get a feel for the atmoshere of the place:
TRIESTE AND THE MEANING OF NOWHERE
Jan Morris
Simon & Schuster
Travel
ISBN: 0743201280

I'm sure you'd find plenty to interest you, and the mountains aren't far either.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard that Trieste is beautiful. Smaller than touristy Venice, but with great architecture. I can't comment on prices, but I'd say it has a higher cost of living than central or south Italy. Given that you sound fed up with Korea and can work legally in Italy, I'd say go for it if the job pays well. After all, if you end up hating it, you're already in Italy and can look around for other places.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: