Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Visa requirements - extract from the criminal record
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
musicalchef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Visa requirements - extract from the criminal record Reply with quote

Hi,

On the list of visa requirements, it says "extract from the criminal record (normally from the country of origin)." I called our local sheriff's department to ask about that, and they wanted to know if I needed a local or statewide check (they only do local; the statewide I would have to get online at a higher price).

Does anyone know which one is needed? Or does it have to be nationwide? If so, where can I get it? by the way I don't have a criminal record, so either way there shouldn't be a problem. Smile

Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you've committed a federal crime, you shouldn't have a 'nationwide' record Shocked

I gave the Czech authorities the thing from the last state I lived in. They were content with it. Granted, that was 10+ years ago, but I think the standard is likely the same.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that makes sense!
Great Teacher Umikun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you're from Florida. I heard that if you're a U.S. citizen, a signed affidavit stating that you haven't been convicted of any criminal offenses will suffice for this requirement. My guess is that it's like pulling teeth trying to get a U.S. criminal record once you've arrived in Czechland.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sheriff's dept told me to get the statewide form online. They performed a quick search for $24 and emailed me the results. It's not signed or anything, but hopefully it's ok.
ITTP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
Unless you've committed a federal crime, you shouldn't have a 'nationwide' record Shocked

I gave the Czech authorities the thing from the last state I lived in. They were content with it. Granted, that was 10+ years ago, but I think the standard is likely the same.

No, the standard ISN'T 'likely the same'.
The affidavit still suffice.

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21
Prague 1
ITTP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

musicalchef wrote:
The Sheriff's dept told me to get the statewide form online. They performed a quick search for $24 and emailed me the results. It's not signed or anything, but hopefully it's ok.

Hello musicalchef.

This definitely won't do I'm afraid.
Best bet is to contact the US embassy and request a meeting for the signing of the affidavit.

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21
Prague 1
musicalchef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you really think so? The police here seemed to think it would be ok, but maybe they wouldn't know these things.

Who can I ask to find out for sure? I've already paid $24, and I don't want to pay any more if I don't have to (but of course I definitely want to make sure I have the right things)!

I am in the US right now by the way; I leave for Prague in two weeks.

The list for things I need for the work permit and visa just says "extract from the criminal record." This seems very vague and I have no idea what it means. My prospective boss gave me these lists, but she won't know the details behind each item.
spiral78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the problem Neville anticipates with your emailed form is that it won't be signed and stamped by any authority.

If I were you, I'd take it down to my local police station and get a signature and rubber stamp on it.

US citizens without any criminal record simply don't have the official 'affadavit' Neville refers to (many countries keep records on all citizens, regardless of whether they've ever committed any crime, and can therefore submit official national forms on anyone).

I'm quite certain that the form you have, along with a signature and stamp from your local authority, will be sufficient.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
johnnyappleseed

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are already in the Czech Republic, you can get an affidavit for 600 kc at the embassy. Most authorities accept that for most matters. If they dont, the sherrif department thing might suffice, so I have heard. Luckily, for me, the affidavit has always sufficed.
Knight

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bust into your thread. I just wanted to let Neville and spiral78 know I posted a last response in my "Can I Just Show Up?" thread.

Arriving in Prague August 5.

-->And about your record check, I think any country would want it notarized. In Korea I had to have a notarized one notarized again, here at the Cannuck embassy.
musicalchef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question about this:

Just before I left I ordered an "official" signed copy through the mail, from the Florida state police department. It arrived the day I left (later in the day), and my mom mailed it to me. Unfortunately, I think it may have gotten lost, since she mailed it four weeks ago and it was supposed to come in two.

So my new question is, do they need the original copy? My mom made copies of the report before she mailed it. Can she just fax me one of those?

Thanks!!
cks

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless things have changed since I renewed my visa last April, you do not need to pay money for your U.S criminal record. They only want the 50 kc criminal record for the Czech Republic.
ITTP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
Unless things have changed since I renewed my visa last April, you do not need to pay money for your U.S criminal record. They only want the 50 kc criminal record for the Czech Republic.

Haven't they dropped the need now to obtain the Czech criminal record?

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: