Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bogota Job Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
izzie_ca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:40 am    Post subject: Bogota Job Help Reply with quote

Hello,

I plan on moving to Bogota this fall. I have spent the last two years teaching ESL in South Korea. I do not have a TESL certification. I am wondering what kinds of jobs I can expect to get based on my experience. I think its also worth mentioning that I was born and raised in Canada by a Colombian mother. Therefore, I hold dual citizenship. This means I wont need a work visa. Will this make it easier for me to find a job?

Thanks for the help,

Isabel
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With 2 years experience in Korea and dual citizenship, you'll have no problem. Personally, if I were you I'd start by looking for a job in a high school or university...only look at an institute if you have no luck with the high schools, but if you already have permission to work here I don't think you'll have any problem finding something with a high school.

I have a Canadian friend who was here with no college degree, no experience and a no-name online TESL Cert, and he got a job at a high school because his wife was Colombian and therefore the school didn't need to go through the hassle of getting him a visa...pay wasn't great because his credentials weren't great, but he was definitely making more and had better benefits than at an institute.

If you have a college degree, I think you could get a job making about 3 million pesos a month or more at a high school. You should be able to save close to half of that without much problem. Check your inbox...I sent you a PM with a little extra info.
izzie_ca

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info above. I didn't get the PM. Is there a place you can suggest for job postings? Newspapers, websites etc?

Thanks!
windowlicker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't expecting you to reply so fast! replied to the thread before sending the PM...check again.

Every once in a while a job post comes up on eslbase.com or tefl.com, but they're usually for institutes. lots of jobs are posted in el tiempo (eltiempo.com) but it seems like the best jobs aren't ever posted online...only the print version. the PM has some extra info about the job search.
TravellingAround

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On here...http://www.colombianblog.com/....there is a list of schools and contact details in one of the forums. Ring them up, send them your CV, visit them etc. Some schools will be on holiday for the summer whereas some other schools have their main breaks in the winter.

Not needing a work visa will be your main asset and although the better schools demand teaching accreditation (as in qualified to teach in your own country) this can be overlooked by some.

Your main problem may be if they try and pay you as a local teacher rather than a foreign teacher. As in much of the world there is, in many places, a big difference between what the local teachers receive and what the western teachers do.
ottoman79

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TravellingAround wrote:
On here...http://www.colombianblog.com/....t

Thanks for this. Really helps a lot!
ru4real

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:52 am    Post subject: windowlicker Reply with quote

I was reading this thread and I also found it very interesting. I am in a similar boat as the starter of this thread has stated. I have almost 3 years experience in ESL in China, Ukraine, and most recently in Ethiopia. I do have a TEFL certification. I was born in the states, but also carry a Columbian passport. I also looking for work here in Columbia and I am interested in Medellin. Due to the PMing restrictions I am also not able to PM anyone here, but I hope that you could Email me with the information given to the poster. My email is RU14real60555(at) yahoo (dot) com. I will look forward to hearing from you or anyone that would be able to help me secure meaningful employment.

I think the only difference might be that I do not currently have a degree, but I am working on it.
tinydizzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, you have a TEFL but no college degree. It's normally the other way around.

I'm in Medell�n teaching right now, although I'm not making anywhere near the 3 million figure that someone else quoted (maybe that's just for Bogot�!).

The government is demanding that all English teachers be accredtited, normally with the TKTS test which is only administered in Colombia, but also the CELTA and TEFL are thought to be considered valid. (like everything else in Colombia, no one seems really sure about anything). I only needed a college degree to get my work visa (which you won't need). Nonetheless I think without a college degree you might have a very hard time finding work in a college or university. Your best bet would be with a private institute (Colombo, ULA, Berlitz, etc...). If you get the degree, you could probably land a job nearly anywhere in Medell�n.

Timing is also really important. Almost all jobs begin in January or Frebruary, and November and December are the most important times to be looking for them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Colombia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: