Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Short term work in Argentina

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
teebar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:13 am    Post subject: Short term work in Argentina Reply with quote

Hi...

I'm thinking of spending July through October/November (about 4 mos) in Argentina, probably Buenos Aires, or Costa Rica. I'd like to teach English while I'm there but am wondering if places hire you to work for just a few months or if most places require a longer contract. How long of a commitment do companies ask for? Does anyone know of places in Buenos Aires that are known to hire for short-term work? Would I still have to deal with the whole issue of getting a tax id?
I'm a certified teacher from the U.S. with 3 years experience, but I don't have my TEFL, as I thought it wouldn't be worth getting for now since I can't commit to a longer teaching job yet. My main goal is to get some experience teaching ESL so while I'd like to earn some money, I'd be open to volunteering if that's my only option for short-term work. Does anyone know of any good volunteer teaching opportunities in Argentina? Most of the ones I've looked at charge quite a bit to place you.

Thanks!
irishvan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:20 pm    Post subject: It appears........ Reply with quote

from a lot of the job adverts here that they are not really interested in short term teachers. I have only been here since feb so I dont consider myself an expert on the situation but certainly that was one of the first questions that was always asked in an interview.
As for the tax or cuit no. I have not got one because I dont think its a good idea to confirm to the govt that you are working illegally. One of my bosses told me yesterday that at one time having a cuit no made you legal but now the situation has changed.
Im sorry I cannot be more helpful, I have only answered because I am concerned about the total lack of information available on the A site, and hope if we all start answering some questions it will become more active!
parrothead

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Argentina forum is definitely less lively than other forums. Hopefully you and other posters will continue to keep us abreast of the living/teaching situation there. I am guessing current teachers in Argentina are either too busy to post or they don't stay long enough to become regular contributors. Since many teachers lack visas I imagine it is difficult for some to stay longer than a year or two.
Evan2009

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This board is dead because there are no opportunities here. You need to BRING money with you to live here. That should be very clear to anyone thinking about coming here. It is expensive, housing is expensive and hard to get. From a professional standpoint you will be very disappointed. Come here for a short time, with money, and have fun but that's all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: