Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Semester in Chile

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kushluk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Semester in Chile Reply with quote

After I graduate I think I am taking a semester in Chile of Spanish in the national university in the Capitol. I plan to bring around 5k(american) or so for all expenses that I may incur, however I would definitely seek employment of whatever fashion I could find to offset my expenditures.

So, that brings me to my question. Could I find work as a freelance translator or tutor in Chile? Is there much opportunity for English translation? Tutoring/Teaching on a parttime basis? Is there much opportunity for teaching/tutoring/translating Chinese on a part time or self employed basis?

I will be getting my degree in Chinese and English. I'm fluent in both those two as well as ok Spanish, but that is what the course and experience is for. (Chinese = Mandarin, I have a Taiwanese accent and write Traditional Characters but can do ugly simplified of monetarily motivated)

Also, there is no legal issue of legally working or illegally working. I am a citizen of Chile. I got my passport not long ago.

Any comments, suggestions, tips are all greatly appreciated. Basically I am looking to make a modest income while I am in Chile doing what I do (translation, langauges) while learning and gaining experience both cultural and linguistic.

Thanks! andre
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
novia

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you can teach both English, Chinese and translate no problem. There is a market for it you just have to market yourself. With a passport (RUT) you will be laughing.
capalito

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My opinion is that if you don�t speak fluent spanish you won�t make money as an english teacher in this country
poetchica

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may have already resolved your own questions by now, however,the question is if you are a native English speaker or speak as a native? That's the big difference I think with anyone who finds even p/t work in Chile. The students and language schools are looking for native accented speakers. I think that is where your challenge will lie. Also, I agree with the previous post, it all depends on how well you can market yourself. Private lessons are best gotten via connections established locally. Perhaps you can start that at the university. Finally, if you speak intermediate (ok) Spanish I don't think translation will be that easy to come by. I speak advance/fluent Spanish and I am a translator and it's not easy work. I've also taught private, at a language institute and university in Chile. All easier to come by than the translation work. Also, I find the translation work can be either spotty or you can be pigeon-holed into being for instance someone who translates science-oriented documents, or political, etc. Good luck and go for it all the same!
sharkeyv

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

capalito wrote:
My opinion is that if you don�t speak fluent spanish you won�t make money as an english teacher in this country

Hahahahahahaha!!
Lunkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharkeyv wrote:
capalito wrote:

Hahahahahahaha!!

you'll make more money if you speak spanish.

speaking spanish = meeting MANY more people = private lessons
Kushluk

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:59 am    Post subject: whoa people are still writing on this old topic. Reply with quote

Hey people! I moved to Argentina instead of Chile. I am now considering what it would be like to move to Chile and work there instead, because the pay rate in Chile seems better vs. Euros/Dollars/Lbs.

Anyhow I speak Spanish just fine now, I've been in Argentina for 5 months now and have been taking classes. I took the placement exam at the University of Buenos Aires and scored in the top level. I've totally avoided any adoption of the Argentine accent too hehe Smile I think maybe my worries were a little over the top.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cat77

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...yes, it is true that it is helpful to know Spanish in Santiago. ( I currently live and work here teaching English) however, it is extremely possible to be successful as an English teacher with limited Spanish...including teaching private English lessons. For those who don't speak fluent Spanish I would recommend coming through a program. It will make it much easier for you to meet people this way, and therefore formulate connections.

With that said..as a non fluent Spanish speaker, I have been very successful as an English teacher in Chile...this includes private lessons. It's not impossible. The things that will help you are previous teaching experience, a positive attitude and a willingness to learn Spanish...not to mention a willingness to feel somewhat insecure at times due to your lack of Spanish. If you want to do it, don't let anyone stop you. Coming to Santiago is one of the best decisions I have made and I came here knowing no Spanish and still struggle with it, but I have found a lot of success as a teacher and wonderful friends (both Spanish and English speaking). Don't let the fact that you don't speak Spanish keep you from coming here. It's more difficult, but it's worth it..and believe me it is possible!
zuzu39

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: finding an apartment Reply with quote

Cat- I'm glad to hear that you had success teaching without knowing Spanish... I'll be in the same situation when I get down there in the fall, but luckily my boyfriend who I'm going with speaking almost fluent Spanish so that will help.

I wanted to ask whether it is possible to find an apartment by ourselves. I've read a lot about the need to have residency or a credit check to be the sole name on a lease, but we would rather have our own place than live with anyone else. Any advice about this matter would be really helpful!
Dia

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is something difficult to work around. I've usually just found someone willing to keep their own name on the lease while they sublet to me, it wouldnt necessarily require living with that person though. You're both a little more vulnerable this way, but it gets around the legal issues somewhat. Hopefully by the time you have found a place you want to commit to one of you will be able to go through the paperwork
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Chile All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: