Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with job offer

View previous topic :: View next topic  
franciebw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Help with job offer Reply with quote

Hello! I've just been offered a teaching position with a school in Cairo starting in September. I have to give my answer by Thursday. The package seems typical, shared fully furnished accommodation, transportation to and from school, refunded airfare, visa supplied. The pay seems a little low, Net L.E. 4,000. I have a Master's in TESOL, BA in Elem Ed, State teaching certificate, I've taught elementary for 3 years. I won't have bills to pay back home so it's fine that I'm paid in L.E., but I don't want to be completely undervalued.

The other sticky point is that I was offered the job without an interview, I just sent in my resume and received the email offering me the job. Is this normal or should I really be worried? Any info would be extremely useful! Thanks!
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, it is NOT normal for someone with a Master's in TESOL to go to work in Fgypt for 4000 pounds/mo. Get a job in the gulf that'll pay you much more with better benefits.

NCTBA
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An MA and an accredited teacher and you are considering a job that pays $750 a month?? Shocked And it is shared housing??? Shocked And they offered it without even bothering to interview you?? Shocked

I wouldn't touch it with a barge pole.

When you are qualified for this job: http://www.eslcafe.com/joblist/index.cgi?read=19776

Unless your only desire is to teach in Egypt, why would you even consider this offer? Have you researched the school here on the board using the search? Any school who makes such a low offer without an interview and then has the nerve to demand a quick answer probably shouldn't be trusted.

VS
(Be sure to read the sticky post: http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=56268 )
justcolleen

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15,000 LE? Entirely possible because of your education, qualifications, and experience - and because it's in Cairo.

4,000 LE? If you aren't insulted already, you should be.

No way.

Noooooooooo way.
franciebw

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I get it Smile This was my back up and I just today got an offer from a school in Kuwait, $2,500/month and individual furnished housing. I was getting nervous that it's so late in the summer and no other offers. I think Kuwait is worse, location wise, but obviously better money wise.

Thanks for the input!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sorry to say this... but this is almost as insulting an offer from Egypt. This is less money than I was offered in Kuwait with an MA over 10 years ago. (granted I had more experience, but still...)

Did you apply to the ad I put above? That is a legitimate employer that is offering salaries that are not an insult.

VS
franciebw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your continued input and advice. I did apply for that job you posted, but I'm not holding out since it's so late in the summer and I don't think I'm able to be interviewed face to face. I started this search so late in the game I'm not expecting anything great, I can handle a sub-par school, but if I can get something better I obviously want it. I really didn't think the Kuwait pay was that bad, shows how much I know! Again, thanks for the input!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked out the Kuwait school on that branch? Even if it is one of the bad ones, you may be able to learn what to expect. Assuming that you take the Kuwait job, be sure to watch for the ads so you can apply for a better job like the one above in time for next year. I'd take the time to do lots of reading here to learn which schools are good and which are bad.

It will be time to start getting paid what you are worth... Cool

VS
franciebw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo, just got a call from TeachAway! Things are looking up, thanks again for the info!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Woohoo", franciebw...is MY schtick! Twisted Evil

NCTBA
franciebw

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha, so sorry about that. I guess that just shows what a newbie I am! Smile
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got my fingers crossed for you francie!! (don't worry, NCTBA hasn't copyrighted his schtick...)

VS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo � (Never Ceased To Be Amazed Corporation, Inc.)

Done and done! Laughing

NCTBA � (Never Ceased To Be Amazed Corporation, Inc.)

P.s.- Rots of ruck!!!
pandasmile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: how much should a new teacher expect in Egypt? Reply with quote

HI Folks

I am planning on doing my CELTA training this year and I hope to start teaching next year. I have a BSc, several years experience in IT and I have learned two foreign languages, so I do have a good idea of what it takes to learn a language and what methods to use.

Can anyone tell me roughly what a new teacher should expect to earn in Egypt, and also what the package should include?

I have read the really good sticky - but I don't think it answers the question on salary expectations for new teachers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: