Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

how much should a new teacher expect in Egypt?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pandasmile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: how much should a new teacher expect in Egypt? Reply with quote

HI Folks

I am planning on doing my CELTA training this year and I hope to start teaching next year. I have a BSc, several years experience in IT and I have learned two foreign languages, so I do have a good idea of what it takes to learn a language and what methods to use.

Can anyone tell me roughly what a new teacher should expect to earn in Egypt, and also what the package should include?

I have read the really good sticky - but I don't think it answers the question on salary expectations for new teachers.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the teacher in the sticky was a credentialed teacher with many years of experience in international schools. And, his wife was likely offered as much as she was because they didn't have to offer any benefits.

So, look at what Francie in the other thread was offered. She has an MA and is a credentialed teacher with 3 years experience whereas you have neither of those credentials. She was offered the equivalent of $750 a month (4000 LE) and shared housing. So, expect to get offered between 3000-6000 with a new CELTA and no experience. (learning a language doesn't count at all - as you will find out in your CELTA class, nor does your IT experience Laughing unless you plan to teach it) To survive, you would probably need to do some private lessons too.

But, as long as you don't have bills to pay at home, it would certainly be an adventure and put some experience on your CV. It will give you a chance to see if you want to continue in the field of ESL/EFL, and if you do, start thinking about an MA.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: