Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

QP cover-up
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Carpenter

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 10:28 pm    Post subject: QP cover-up Reply with quote

On the 23rd January, I started a new class at QP's Ras Aboud Training center. I was the 3rd teacher in less than a month and the 5th or 6th alltogether. There were 17 names on the sheet for a classroom that would be crowded with 12 students but i was told there would never be more than 10. I had 15 students the first day. After being sent from one person to another, they told me that my class would be reduced to 10, but only took 3 (good) students away.

(MOD edit)

In the 6 months I have been here, more than half the people who started have left. Two more are leaving soonm because of inappropriate accommodation, and more will follow. This is not a good place to work. The teachers are on 9000 or 11000 and most of the students are on about 8000, although the married ones get more than the lower paid teachers. The administration is a joke, with most of them out of their depth, and too scared or too incompetent to do their jobs properly.
For any further information please feel free to contact me privately at [email protected], or via the forum. If anyone has an email address for the top bods at QP or in the Government, I would appreciate it, as I haven't been able to find same yet

(edit for too much use of names - use PM or email privately if you wish to learn more)
dmb

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see that things haven't changed........ I miss QP
graftonstreetgulf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too right dmb...I'm trying to work out what JC is complaining about....all sounded quite normal to me.
Gordon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

graftonstreetgulf wrote:
Too right dmb...I'm trying to work out what JC is complaining about....all sounded quite normal to me.

His original message was about 4 times longer and more detailed with names, which is why it was apparently edited by the moderators.
dmb

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
most of the students are on about 8000
Are you sure about this John? When I was there 3 years ago the students were on about 2000 with the married students on a slighty higher pay. However, the students would often have a few deductions for ahem... absenteesim

(It was my favourite word. "Right, you're absent" "But teacher I no money")
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too read the original message. I suspect that it was the naming of numerous royal family members and management staff that got it edited.

But, I thought that it sounded like everything was the same there as it has always been... rather spoiled unmotivated students and an incompetent management...

VS
gstieglit

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is QP?
dmb

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Qatar Petroleum (which actually own Qatar pretty much)
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And it may be called Petroleum but they produce GAS.
letitslidedude

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:02 am    Post subject: advice! Reply with quote

IF YOU ARE DESPERATE AND LOOKING FOR A HOLE LIKE QP, think about going back to school and do a career shift! Or go to Japan and baby-sit kids at an EIKAWA, at least you will have a life after work. Joining QP can kill you psychologically, physically and drains your energy!

Nothing positive to say about this place: Students are the worst! Managers, only God knows/ Teaching materials are UNTEACHABLE!

Oh by the way, the man who was in charge (hiring) before he lost the contract, in his 8 years, he made a bundle: money & money. And he is the guy who created this chaos in QP. Instead of hiring qualified native English Teachers, he hired teachers from third world and sub-Saharan continent and the main reason is that these teachers would never get good jobs, usually desperate and HE COULD EASILY CONTROL THEM.

He left and he left a BIG MESS behind him. Oh! People who are in charge now are even worse!

Take care!
lotsa

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The people mentioned as being left behind are worse than the previous honcho is based on what? That is, are you employed there now, or very recently? If not, can you fully verify the claim you make. I don't work for QP, but when I read posts in these forums I look for valid arguments, very few of which exist.

Cogito ergo sum.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there are plenty of problems at the Gulag but there's nothing you can do about them. You just have to lie low and let it pass over you. Don't get agitated and don't jump the gun. I agree there is unfairness, favoritism and discrepancies. The good thing is you can just sign on for a 6 months contract and then take off.
John Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi This is John Carpenter who wrote the original Coverup, more than 2 years ago. I now work in KSA and some of my present students recently visited relatives in Doha, and I had joked with them about my 'hassles' with one particular individual. They told me that they met a student who remembered the incident, and was very embarrassed by the way that I was treated. He also told them that some of the other students from that class were moved at their own request and that some of the other althanis in the class left. He asked to be remembered to me, and hoped that I didn't dislike him because of what happened. I don't and I am inspired by the fact that he was so open with my students, who only had a potted version from me, but now have a much stronger version
J Carpenter
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, John you were badly done by and this left a sour taste in a lot of people's mouths. We felt for you. Once you fall afoul of the system or a student, then it's down the drain. Things are a tad better these days but there are still downturns. Poor old ----y was let go recently because of the boozing. They should have given him a second chance. Remember most of the students are just kids and have to grow up. They are no better or worse than most of the college/high school students in the US. At least they don't bring knives or weapons to school. I left a job years ago where I had to deal with violence in the schools. If one of those students had it in for you, then you were really in trouble. I hope it's all going well for you in Saudi. Are the salaries better than here? The fact that it's dry puts a lot of people (including myself) off from going there.

As for accomodation, we were all moved from that disgusting illegally built building near the Jaidah Towers with the smoke-belching generator machine outside. We were all in danger of contracting lung disease. You may recall the street was too narrow to park in so we were at risk of being squashed to death as well. Or maybe this was before your time?
Try to come back for a visit. The new premises are supposed to be state of the art..... anything would be after Ras Aboud. But hey, we'll probably miss the old place...
zeke0606

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

I was with John in Qatar when all that happened. I quit very shortly after he was let go, but for different reasons. The disaster that happened to John was mishandled so badly that everything that could have gone RIGHT - went wrong!
I was down at the bakery, very near the refinery and the Resort. So I was out of the spotlight of the gulag, but not the politics, personal rivalries, and I was told to pay a bribe of $500 for my RP - from one of the Griffith staff!

However, I did enjoy the country. But it took only 3 weeks to see every nook and cranny of the country - twice.

Zeke
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: