Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Important info for all teachers in Prague

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITTP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Important info for all teachers in Prague Reply with quote

Hi everyone Smile

Thought I'd write a short piece about the getting legal process here, now that I have a bit of spare time and now that we are almost fully moved in to our new school premises at Narodni 21 in the center of Prague.

The visa process for USA citizens has recently become less of a hassle and this is because you now have your own section at the foreign police - due to the visa waiver agreement between the Czech Republic and United States. You still need to complete all necessary documentation and pick up your visa either in Dresden, Vienna or Bratislava BUT you don't need to spend hours in the 'Rest of the World' queue now at the foreign police.
The work visa has always been a hassle but on the other hand work visas in any country are usually a bit of a pain in the neck to get.
That said, if you get your paperwork submitted in time then the process of acceptance and issue of the work visa is usually automatic.
Most schools assist with the visa process.

HOWEVER...

You really need to make sure that your school is actively dealing with your visa paperwork. This is really important.
There have been media reports of deportations and these reports, albeit in my opinion sensational, relate to schools which did not submit visa applications in time and the result was that the teacher(s) were deported because their tourist visa had expired and they didn't have the work visa which would allow them to legally remain in the country after their tourist visa expired.

It is vital that you ensure that your application for work visa is submitted at least 2 week's before your tourist visa expires. If you are from the States then this means you have a full 10 weeks from arrival into the Czech Republic in which to submit your visa application. When your paperwork is submitted you will be granted a temporary visa which will allow you to stay in the Czech Republic until your work visa is issued.
It is common practice to begin teaching on a tourist or temporary visa while your work visa is being processed.

Hope it helps!

Have a lovely week everyone.

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21
Prague 1
christine13

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the update - much appreciated Smile
jade_bear

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neville

Can you please clarify if the process you describe for US citizens' is the same for Australian citizens (who are also under a visa waiver program).

Do Australian's have to stand in the "Rest of World" queue?

Thanks
Deb
cks

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No you should be on the same floor as us. I was there a few months ago renewing my visa and there was a list of countries who do not have to stand in the rest of the world queue, I didn't look at specifics, but I remember Brazil and Israel were both on the same floor, so surely Australia is as well. My Aussi friend just renewed hers and I think she would have told me if she had to do anything differently.
jade_bear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks cks!
nelliesue

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for all the useful info!
ITTP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jade_bear wrote:
Hi Neville

Can you please clarify if the process you describe for US citizens' is the same for Australian citizens (who are also under a visa waiver program).

Do Australian's have to stand in the "Rest of World" queue?

Thanks
Deb

Hi Deb.

Yes, I can confirm that currently it is the same.
I write 'currently' because no-one really knows how the foreign police system will look from one week to the next.

Have a lovely rest of the weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
musicalchef

PostPosted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got kind of a dumb question. Where the heck can I get the visa application form?? My boss is sick right now so I don't want to bother her. I read on some list that it has to be "filled in at the spot." Do they need to see us fill it in?
cks

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get it on the second floor and they want you to have it filled out before they see you. I believe it the form in red ink. Make sure you answer the question in Czech such as occupation put Ucitelka/Ucitel instead of teacher. I think it is the only one; just make sure you do not answer anything in English, but the form consists mainly of your name, address, ect...Get extra forms in case you make mistakes.
Sigma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cks wrote:
. Make sure you answer the question in Czech such as occupation put Ucitelka/Ucitel instead of teacher. I think it is the only one; just make sure you do not answer anything in English, but the form consists mainly of your name, address, ect...Get extra forms in case you make mistakes.

I believe you also need to have your education written in Czech, as well as the jobs of your parents and siblings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: