Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Facebook and teachers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:47 pm    Post subject: Facebook and teachers Reply with quote

Today must be the 10th or 11th time I�ve received this QU party Facebook email from my students. These dumb photos are still making the rounds and are still causing controversy. A couple of months ago a clueless QU teacher posted some suggestive pictures of himself and QU colleagues at a private party. For some strange reason, he allowed his students access to these photos; some of the female teachers were wearing very s--y and revealing clothes. Some teachers posed very provocatively and some teachers were guzzling certain beverages. Some teachers were 'embracing' intimately. The pictures were culturally offensive and have given students a very bad impression of western expat teachers. I hate wasting classtime telling students that such teachers are the exception and not the rule. I am also fed up to find these pictures are still being circulated.

One enterprizing student decided to caption each photo with a very condemnatory comment. Some comments heavily criticized the teachers and the university. Unfortunately, these pictures were sent to local newspapers and ended up as a hot and outraged discussion topic in local papers, mosques and the radio. The students also started sending them around the Gulf so some of us have even received the same email from other Gulf countries. I even had one student send them from Dubai.

This negative reaction should be a warning to teachers � under no circumstances should you give students access to your Facebook account. You may think it�s cool to be palsy with the students, but it�s not. They won�t respect you if you breach cultural norms. Respect them and their culture and don't try to be buddies. It's the wrong way to go.

Another unpleasant development from the talkshows and newspaper editorials is the dress-code squad now stationed at some malls, notably Villagio and City Center. Some women have been accosted and criticized heavily by squad members for being inappropriately dressed. I have heard of cases of women being asked to leave the malls. If people want to live here, they should respect the rules and dress code. Don't kid yourself, there is one, you can read about it on all the Qatar websites I posted.

Last edited by wilberforce on Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:52 pm; edited 3 times in total
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See how dangerous Facebook can be if there is a misunderstanding. Don't try to break cultural barriers. It's the wrong way to go. Respect the local traditions.

http://amboytimes.typepad.com/the_amboy_times/2008/04/honor-killing-o.html

Last edited by wilberforce on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
wilberforce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:41 pm    Post subject: official advice - respect the norms Reply with quote

Thanks to a bollixed and very naive QU teacher, these grossly improper and very private photographs of carousing teachers in this country have had far reaching repercussions. The photos have caused widespread outrage and angry parents everywhere; they have even had very negative reactions in other neighboring countries. As I said before, we should respect the people, their beliefs, their customs and their dress code. This is especially important for teachers as we are supposed to be role models. If you feel a need to dress down, don't take photos and don't post them on social networking sites.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=Local_News&month=July2009&file=Local_News200907132288.xml

Be careful with what you wear in Qatar, US tells citizens

Web posted at: 7/13/2009 2:28:8

DOHA: The United States has advisedd its citizens living and visiting Qatar against wearing revealing and �provocative� clothes. It advised US citizens not to go about on public beaches in bath towels. The Mission also discouraged sleeveless shirts and blouses, halter tops and shorts.

Western bathing attire must be worn only at hotel pools and private beaches, it said. US citizens must also avoid visiting labour or work camps, an updated and revised country specific information for Qatar posted on the embassy website said. The warden message that reminded US citizens that it was Islamic traditions that provide the foundation of Qatar�s customs, laws and practices said: �Foreign visitors are expected to remain sensitive to Islamic beliefs and practices and not dress up in a revealing or provocative manner including wearing of sleeveless shirts and blouses, halter tops and shorts. Western bathing attire is to be worn only at hotel pools and private beaches�.

The embassy also cautioned US nationals about discussing religious issues, or answering questions about a religion. The warden message has strictly warned against conversion. �Religion and religious practices are quite sensitive issues in Qatar. Therefore, discussing religious issues should be treated with care and sensitivity. Proselytizing is illegal in Qatar. Attempting to convert a member of one religion to another, �sharing one�s faith� with someone of a different faith, and similar practices can be deemed violations of Qatari law, with deportation or even prison the consequence,� the embassy warned.

The embassy also issued strict guidelines to US citizens involved in charitable activities. �Charitable activities, both religious and non-religious, must be approved in advance by Qatar Authority for Charitable Activities (QACA)

http://qatar.usembassy.gov/

Last edited by wilberforce on Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:41 am; edited 1 time in total
wilberforce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Results of facebook controversy Reply with quote

Doha residents prefer to dress decently

Web posted at: 7/9/2008 2:4:6

DOHA � A majority of the residents The Peninsula spoke to yesterday agreed dressing modestly is appropriate as a Central Municipality Council (CMC) member has recently urged both long-staying residents and newcomers to shun the practice of wearing provocative clothes.

"If such revealing clothes are normal in their country, this is not the situation in our country and they should be aware of that," Ibrahim Al Ibrahim, a CMC member representing Al Markhiyah has said.

Arlene, an administrative assistant, said: "I always wear my office uniform, there's no reason why I can't follow the dress code in Qatar."

"Perhaps those who wear revealing clothes believe they have something to show off to others, as the saying goes: 'If you have it, flaunt it'," Christine, who works as a saleslady in a perfumery said. But I don't think those people are in their right frame of mind, she added.

Wearing a spaghetti-strapped top, a shopper in the City Centre, said: "It's summer and this outfit is in. It's not the clothes that people wear that matters, it's their attitude. People should act properly whatever they are wearing and they will have no problem."

"Those scantily clad women are a temptation to men; they prompt men to think of evil things," Mark, a storekeeper said.

"Since Qatar prohibits wearing such clothing, they should not put them on shelves for sale," Mike, a transport employee said. Some boutiques display mannequins dressed in very seductive outfits, that's why women are encouraged to buy them, he added.

Concerned about the issue, Randy, a senior staff, said: "Since we are working here, we should follow the rules. If one doesn't want to abide with the country's traditions, then he should better go back to his country.

"The problem is authorities seem lenient regarding this issue. Nobody checks, so people think it's just okay to wear those kinds of clothes," he added.

"We see the nationals covering themselves in their traditional clothes, and there go some residents wearing those revealing outfits. They should dress decently to afford respect to the host country. If they are in the house having a party or other occasion, it is fine; but when out they should dress properly," Arnie, who teaches in a private school said.

Al Ibrahim has urged authorities to play a significant role by handing out brochures in various languages in the airport's arrival area to promote awareness to newcomers on the country's proper dress code.

He has also encouraged non-Arabic media to act in one accord in informing the public regarding the issue.

http://www.thepeninsulaqatar.com/Display_news.asp?section=local_news&month=july2008&file=local_news20080709246.xml
karachi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Interesting Pics Reply with quote

Teachers wearing "revealing clothes" and "posing intimately". Where can I see these pictures?
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've been deleted although Qatari students are still sending them here and there. Totally inappropriate attire for teachers, especially university teachers. Makes us Gulagers look downright respectable.
misterkodak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez, I'm surprised those guys from QU haven't been fired over this. I defintely don't post anything on facebook that I wouldn't want my family to see. It's a safe rule I guess.
The US military used to have dress and behaviorcodes for people stationed in this part of the world. If I remember properly: no shorts, no sleeveless T's no "offensive t-shirts" (can't remembr what they were.. probably of the heavy metal or four-letter word variety) and last (but not least). We were warned against public intoxication and loud behavior as well. (In Bahrain). Last but not least, they told us to USE COMMON SENSE!
It's baffling (to say the least) that people who are teaching in a university setting would allow students access to their private lives so easily. It seems that in the world of TEFL few people have common sense. I guess once they're abroad they somehow think they're immune to the cultural norms here. I have FORMER students who are now my friends. Until they become FORMER students I'm on a professional relationship with them only. It just works better that way!
wilberforce

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jeez, I'm surprised those guys from QU haven't been fired over this.

I have no idea what happened to the Facebook poster. He's the real culprit. He posted the picture without permission from the other teachers from what I've heard. They were boiling mad. It was some kind of costume party so they all dressed up in their streetwalker finery. The guy took the pictures and asked people to make lewd poses. Then he posted them on Facebook. A real numbskull. But firing? I don't agree. His co-teachers probably gave him a real hard time (which he deserved). But I really don't know what happened to him. He certainly was culturally out of it.
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wilberforce wrote:
They've been deleted although Qatari students are still sending them here and there. Totally inappropriate attire for teachers, especially university teachers. Makes us Gulagers look downright respectable.

Why is it totally inappropriate attire for teachers?? This was a private party - they don't go into work dressed like it.

I hope the QU female teachers don't feel ashamed of their actions. This was private - the facebook poster is the one who should be named and shamed.The authorities should be clamping down on this website if anything.

So what if they were having a drink?? It's allowed - it isn't Saudi. Up until recently you'd have seen plenty of Qataris openly drinking in the bars - notably the Ramada Sports Bar.
wilberforce

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This was a private party - they don't go into work dressed like it

Some Gulagers who were there said it was a private party in a public place - a hotel. This means that these people dressed up like this in a public place not a good thing to do in a conservative country like Qatar. It's a a lot more conservative than the UAE or Bahrain. Gulagers also witnessed the photo shoot. The teachers very willingly posed for the pictures for a colleague who apparently bragged that he let his students access his Facebook account. Probably not all of the teachers who posed were aware of this. Even so, they posed for the photos in a public space, the poses were pretty raunchy. The pictures are the kind you see on the top shelf where they sell magazines in the US - i.e. adult magazines. Unfortunately for some teachers, some photos look like they were taken without the person even known he or she was being photographed. Those pictures aren't the ones that caused the uproar. It was the raunchy posed pictures. Anyway, the deed is done and let's hope the teacher has learned his lesson. He wasn't too 'Gulf smart' to have done this.
Maybe he'll keep his camera at home at the next party.
word_to_the_wise

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they did it in a public place then that puts a different gloss on things.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: