Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Possibly coming over...any tips?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
originaloli

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Possibly coming over...any tips? Reply with quote

Hi,

My girlfriend and I are thinking about coming to India. It depends a bit on her job - we might end up in Tokyo yet! Anyway, as regards India, how hard is it to get jobs teaching English? I'm CELTA-qualified, though inexperienced as yet. We would be avoiding the large cities in favour of messing around in the South - probably Thiravananathrapuram. I'm worried about the fact that most Indians speak English although I suppose the target market must be enormous, like most things India-related. Any tips or arrows in the direction greatly appreciated.

PS I don't want to hear any negative things about India per se, just things that relate to English teaching. I've had lots of people here in Blighty (many of them Indian) moan on about food poisoning and heat and whatnot. I don't care about any of that jazz - I want to have an adventure, OK?
Henry_Cowell

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can start by browsing through the many India forum topics devoted to English-teaching jobs. You'll find that the vast majority of jobs available for foreigners to teach English are at the "call centres," where you will focus on regional vocabularies, "accent reduction," geography, phone etiquette, and company newsletters. Cool

The going rate for English-language jobs at call centres is about US$1,000 per month.
rockyp44

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: In Chennai Reply with quote

Yes, there is some call center work here, but you will get better benefits and salary if you get hired from abroad, plus home leave at least once a year.

Want a cat while u r here?

Pussca is a healthy, sweet cat that stays in the house.

We have the papers for all vaccinations and even bloodwork analyzed in Europe. It seems that our previous tenants have left it with us (was supposed to be sent to UK last month) and I am allergic.

Includes wooden kennel, plastic tub for litter and whatever food and litter is left.

979-098-5429
gonzo85

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't drink the water!!! Very cheap to live though, & culture shock value is very high! Very enjoyable/memorable.
eclectic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what culture shock value exactly do you mean? And is that $1,000 per month REALLY a reasonlay obtainable figure? Seems high to me for a place like India.

p.s. a decent apartment in Delhi will run about how much per month?
rockyp44

PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 12:23 pm    Post subject: CoL Reply with quote

$1,000/mo.?

Can't tell you about Delhi, but in Chennai, you might be able to find a 1 BR, so-so in terms of "decent", in a noisy area for about $120 US/mo.

Anything clean, tile/marble floors, hot water showers and maybe 1 AC, 2 BR, in a shady, quiet area, is about $400-500.

Plus, most landlords require 11 mos. rent as a deposit--most employers will loan the cash for that.

Of course cooking yourself and eating on the cheap and using a bicycle, you can live quite cheaply. If you travel around the country, or take lots of AC taxis and eat at the 5-star hotel buffets, you will eat into the remainder, probably not saving anything.
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
hot water showers
In Chennai? The ambient temperature is around 36C, and cold water, if it comes from an overhead water storage tank is going to be considerably hotter.
eclectic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks like rocky44 got it right: the 2008 rent figures put Delhi at an average 290 pounds sterling per month for a 1 bedroom apartment. Bangalore came in at 190 pounds per month. Now if Madras is only $120 US per month for a so-so flat, thats like 80 pounds!! Now that is cheap isnt it? Earning 1 thousand US and eating scantily out, one could save maybe $700 US/month---- much more than in China or Turkey, for example.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Henry_Cowell wrote:
The going rate for English-language jobs at call centres is about US$1,000 per month.

That's not bad. I mean, I'd have thought India would pay a lot less, as the cost of living is quite low.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> India All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: