Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How do I contact Via Lingua or another agent for teaching?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
runninggirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: How do I contact Via Lingua or another agent for teaching? Reply with quote

I'm searching for teaching possiblities and am not sure the best group to contact. I don't want to come over and walk the streets trying to find work and a place to live.
I am just beginning a search and am presently looking at Greece!!! Italy and the Middle East. I've been in the ME but not Greece or Italy.
I have a Master's in Communications and a TEFL certi. Would appreciate any tips. I am American so I don't have a Euro passport.

How long is the tourist visa given out for?
spiral78

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

runninggirl, you're dreaming a near-impossible dream, I'm afraid. Italy (and most of Western Europe) is the same story....

There's no group recrutiing North American citizens for Western European teaching positions, I'm afraid.

The hiring laws in most Western European counties don't allow schools to hire non-EU citizens for teaching positions. There are plenty of British (EU) teachers around, is the theory, so hiring from outside the union requires navigating tons of expensive and difficult red tape, and language schools just can't do it.

As a US citizen, you enter the Schengen zone (google it for a list of countries) and you can stay inside the zone for 90 days. Then you have to GO OUT FOR 90 DAYS. In the past, a border run for a stamp automatically restarted your 90 days, but this is no longer a legal option.

There are tons of posts on this topic on this forum, and also the Italy forum. You might read over the Spain board as well - you'll see the ones that discuss Americans in European countries. I'll try to bump some up for you.
Deicide

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
runninggirl, you're dreaming a near-impossible dream, I'm afraid. Italy (and most of Western Europe) is the same story....

There's no group recrutiing North American citizens for Western European teaching positions, I'm afraid.

The hiring laws in most Western European counties don't allow schools to hire non-EU citizens for teaching positions. There are plenty of British (EU) teachers around, is the theory, so hiring from outside the union requires navigating tons of expensive and difficult red tape, and language schools just can't do it.

As a US citizen, you enter the Schengen zone (google it for a list of countries) and you can stay inside the zone for 90 days. Then you have to GO OUT FOR 90 DAYS. In the past, a border run for a stamp automatically restarted your 90 days, but this is no longer a legal option.

There are tons of posts on this topic on this forum, and also the Italy forum. You might read over the Spain board as well - you'll see the ones that discuss Americans in European countries. I'll try to bump some up for you.

Crusher of dreams. Shocked

I have an EU passport and I still can't find anything.... Crying or Very sad
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sorry - I know it sometimes sounds that way.

My problem is that I have seen a few people get really in trouble over the years due to unrealistic expectations coming in that led them to take what they didn't realise were pretty big risks...

If people are going to come work illegally, for instance, and they know that it's a risk and then do it anyway - well, they're going into the situation with their eyes open.

Or if they're aware that there are start-up costs and still come without enough money in hand, well, they're forewarned and can sort of approach the situation from day one with earning money fast as a priority.

But coming over with starry-eyed expectations, when they are likely to be dashed here on the ground, far from family, friends, and support networks - well, I think that's a lot worse than having your dreams dashed in the planning/research stages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Greece All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: