Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buenos Aires - some general questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SAILO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Buenos Aires - some general questions Reply with quote

Hi all,

I�m moving to Buenos Aires in late September with my Argentine boyfriend and plan to teach English there for at least 1 year. I have a bachelor�s degree and my TEFL certification as well as about 2 months of teaching experience in Spain. I�m 22 yrs old and an American passport holder.

I have a few questions that have indeed been looked at on this forum but are a bit out of date. I�d appreciate any up to date information!!

1) I�d prefer to work in a school setting rather than a language institute and my preference would be to teach younger children. Any suggestions on how to pursue this particular route? Is a proper work visa required and/ or teacher certification for school positions?

2) As far as working under the table is concerned, I don�t really mind doing that especially since it seems like this is the norm for EFL teachers in Argentina. However, how difficult and worthwhile is it to pursue a work visa? Would it open a lot of doors? Or is the hastle unnecessary? Do I need to return to the USA to get it or could I get it in B.A.?

3) Anybody there now notice whether or not the economy has significantly slowed down in the education sector?

4) Cost of living vs. income. Provided that I�ll be sharing the rent with someone, is it possible to live a relatively comfortable life in Buenos Aires as an EFL teacher?

5) I�d be flying in on a one-way ticket from Madrid. Does anyone have any experience with this? Do you think I�d encounter a problem??

Thank you so much for your help!!
Kushluk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Mountains of paperwork I'm sure, not only for visas but for school work. Many native professors here aren't even properly paid. I'm serious about the paperwork btw, it's horrible.

2)Forget it. You need a contract which you probably aren't going to get. It won't open any doors because the contract would be for one place only. You don't need to return to the USA to get it or go anywhere (Why even if you had to leave argentina would you do this, Uruguay is a boat ride away?). Also, as with any tramite in argentina, this can take months and months (four is a good estimate).

3) The economy doesn't seem that horrible actually. I think it's worse in the USA. Argentina is surrounded by economic winners at the moment, even if it has its own problems.

4) Depends on how much you get in the form of jobs. I'd def. bring cash as Arg. Pesos aren't worth anything in dollars. So saving doesn't pay (ha).
But yes, maybe Argentina is not the best place to work in the long term.

5) Probably better that way. No there is no problem, this isn't the EU or the USA where everyone gets all up into your business. Besides visa renewal is easy when the time comes, take a trip to uruguay.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Argentina All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: