Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A friend of mine...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
smedini

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: A friend of mine... Reply with quote

Hey all Smile

A friend of mine is headed to Qatar and is interested in what kind of work he may get when he gets there. "Friend" is not a cover (those of you know me know I'm working on heading to the UAE), so the clearer the info the better since I have to pass it along Smile

Ok, here's the deal: He's a very young looking 61. His wife is a teacher and has already been signed into a position in Doha, so he'll be tagging along on her visa. He is a retired financial planner who has also served as a CFO for a company that owned three pharmacies. He has a BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration, major in economics) and he has no teaching experience but is currently finishing up the CELTA.

I know that his qualifications are nowhere near what he needs to get a sweet job offered him by someone in Qatar while he's here in Canada, but if he's already in country on someone else's visa and at the very least has a CELTA, what are the chances that he can pick something else up? He won't be needing anything with benefits or anything since his wife has all that sewn up.

So, any thoughts out there?

~smedini
millie18

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He may be able to pick up some local hire work with a language school/institute - probably won't pay a lot but will give him something to do with his day.
15yearsinQ8

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good god , he can be a short term financial consultant with 5x the tefl teacher salary AND work part time
he'd be stupid to teach
dust off the suit and cruise the big financials, local firms and MNCs
companies will probably offer him full time jobs

are you SURE a woman can sponsor a husband in qatar?
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's 61... he's retired... obviously the goal here is not money, but to keep busy.

I'd say language schools are the perfect place. He can pick up part-time and eventually perhaps some private lessons. There are business people who would love to get language lessons from a business professional. If he likes working with kids, there might be schools that would take him on as a teacher's assistant - perhaps volunteer, if money is irrelevant to him.

I think ESL/EFL is the perfect part-time retirement job.

VS
helenl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does he have experience advising expats (of many different nationalities) on how, where, when, to invest their $$ offshore, to reduce taxation and repatriation of $$ issues? If so, then he could probably do so as 15yrsinQ8 says.

If not, then he'd have to educate himself very quickly in a very complicated and everchanging financial field.
smedini

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all Smile

I'll pass the information along. As for a woman sponsoring a man, I don't know the ins and outs of it, I just know they are all set to leave in September, signed contract in hand and ready visas. I don't think he would have a problem teaching kids, but he'd probably prefer adults (the focus of the CELTA). I will mention your advice, too, 15yrsinQ8, as he might like that, too. VS, your info on working part time and doing some privates, maybe with business individuals, will probably go over well, too. You're right, money is not the main goal here, though I think he'd prolly like to earn enough to pay the bills and buy some food (flights, housing and insurance - along with the usual bennies are taken care of on his wife's contract) so they can bank even more from her salary. And keeping busy, too.

This guy is great...barely looks 52, is funny as anyone I've ever met, pleasant, patient and just a nice guy...I hope he can get something! He'll be really happy with all this good info! I will pass it along (but keep it comin' if there's more out there!)!

Cheers!

~smedini
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should all be so lucky as to have (or a spouse that has) his choices. Laughing I should think that her contract should provide the housing, insurance, summer leave tickets and such like. It would be nice if he could pick up enough to pay for daily expenses and holidays so that her salary could be banked.

BTW... I just remembered that I do have a friend that sponsored her husband in Qatar... both Western passports if that makes a difference.

Another thought is that they would need to do a bit of research as to whether it would be legal for him to do financial planning without some kind of permits or licenses.

VS
toughcookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a woman can sponsor her husband in qatar. no problem there.
tc
wilberforce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck with getting a job. The dorks here think 61 is old. They haven't caught up with the rest of the world. Where I've been working (my last day today) the dorks got rid of teachers 60+. No respect for experience or age when it comes to foreigners. I guess a president who is 60 or over is too old in their book. At least Qatar Foundation isn't that dumb.
Never Ceased To Be Amazed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goom-bye, wilberforce...get the Master degree! You'll never regret it!

Da same to you...you know who!

Yes, they are among us!

NCTBA
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: