Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Best, Latest time for Fall Employment?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilTwin2000

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: The Best, Latest time for Fall Employment? Reply with quote

I'm currently in the USA, looking for ESL jobs in Italy. I'm guessing I'll have a lot better luck once I'm in the country. But I've got an awful lot of stuff to do here--putting a house on the market--so I'm wondering: how late is too late to arrive in Italy for an "in-person" job search?

I'm thinking of arriving in mid-September--the 15th to be exact. But if you think I could hold off another week or even longer, it would take some of the pressure off on this end. Suggestions?

EU passport and one month's accomodation with a friend in Italy are already in place. I'm a newbie and I'm not picky, will gladly accept language school table scraps that may not initially pay all the bills (but will hopefully put a dent in them). I just want to get my foot in the door. Thanks!
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mid September is OK, but don't leave it too long after. Be prepared to hit the ground running with up-to-date CV, references, qualifications etc. On the other hand, you could get lucky with schools who've had the rug pulled from under their feet by teachers who initially said they were available, then suddenly weren't. Happened to me, so it could be a card in your favour.

Where are you looking? The bigger cities offer more in the way of schools, but are more expensive to live in. In smaller towns / countryside you may need a car to get to other places to make up your hours. Pros and cons for both.
EvilTwin2000

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As to location, I'm not overly picky. I would prefer places other than Rome or Milan, simply because these are the two most expensive cities--and the ones where the only places I could afford to rent are probably far out in the boondocks. But I'm not ruling them out either.

I've been to Verona, Bologna, Trieste and any of them would do nicely. As would any medium size city with decent public transport. But I was especially struck by Bologna because of all the bookstores... Not that I can read Italian yet.

The best lead I have right now might actually be in Brescia. Any suggestions would be welcome.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bologna is nice. Studenty, lots of bikes, and of course, tons of bookshops. I didn't see many language schools there, but I wasn't looking. You should be able to pick up some work from uni students - brush up on your medicine terminology!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: