Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Non-EU: arriving to Prague and teaching in Prague - facts
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITTP

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2009 4:57 am    Post subject: Non-EU: arriving to Prague and teaching in Prague - facts Reply with quote

Hi Smile

There is so much conflicting info on this on these forum pages.

As an American traveling to Prague you don't need to get your visa whilst in the States.
Upon arrival to Prague you will be given a (free), 90-day Tourist visa and this is fine for the period while you are taking your TEFL course and then looking for work and starting work.
Theoretically, you can no longer teach on your Tourist Visa unless you have begun the work permit and visa process.

So, if at the end of the 90 days you haven't taken any serious steps to apply for the work permit and work visa then you will technically need to leave the country (although this is open to discussion how strict the Czech authorities are concerning US citizens overstaying their 90-day Tourist visa status).

If at the end of the 90 days you have already applied for the work permit and work visa then you will be fine to stay and continue teaching, even if your work visa and permit papers take longer than 90 days to be processed.

This is how things are in Prague now.

Recently, there have been reports of a very small minority of teachers being deported and this was because their school didn't submit their work permit and visa papers within the required 90 day period. As an example, we are no longer recommending these schools and only recommend schools, who actively physically help teachers with this process.

The typical route is to arrive on a 90-day Tourist visa, take a course, find a school and begin teaching and at the same time apply for the work permit and visa.
Currently this is still the acceptable way of doing things here.

It used to be a lot easier to just stay on and do border runs every 90 days for a new Tourist visa stamp but technically this isn't possible anymore and a reflection of this is the increased level of quality of teachers in Prague and also more teachers generally completing their teaching contracts.

Hope it helps!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Jungmannova 32
Prague 1
Dragonsheart

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent post as always! Thank you
ITTP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragonsheart wrote:
Excellent post as always! Thank you

Thank you Dragonsheart Smile

Hezky vecer!/Lovely evening!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Prague 1
Sigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just went through my second visa renewal, so I thought I'd write a little about the documents I needed.

For the work permit...
- Work contract
- Proof of accomodation
- 250kc kolek
- Photocopy of my passport

For the visa....
- Proof of accomodation
- 1000kc kolek
- Visa form (green)
- 2 passport photos
- Passport (obviously)
- Working permission
- Proof of insurance

The urad prace gave me a two-year work permit, which is nice, as the foreingers police will give me a visa valid for two years.

My passport expires next year, so I had to write a sentence on my visa form saying I'm aware that my passport expires next year, and that I'll bring in my new passport. A duplicate of the visa sticker will cost 100kc.

I don't live in Prague, so things might be different in the 'big city'. Where I live there is never anyone waiting at the foreigners police. Very Happy
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great information!

Regarding documents needed, do I need to bring a copy of my TEFL certificate, university diploma, university transcripts, etc, etc?

Thanks!!
christine13

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

elena.sprick wrote:
Thanks for the great information!

Regarding documents needed, do I need to bring a copy of my TEFL certificate, university diploma, university transcripts, etc, etc?

Thanks!!

Good question - I'm wondering the same thing. Do most Prague EFL school employers require original documentation or are photocopies sufficient for univ. diploma, univ. transcripts?

Also, should I bring a copy of my birth certificate? - Will I ever need to show that to a prospective employer?
Thanks!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the best advice is to bring all documents...you should be able to get notarized copies at your local bank in the States, which will be as good as the originals.

It's unlikely that anyone is going to want transcripts, as they aren't considering you for postgrad studies or anything - the other stuff you mention is pretty basic and useful.

I'd suggest bringing it all, honestly - it's not heavy or expensive.

One other thing you may need, and it's kind of weird. You may be asked for a document certifying that you have a clean criminal record - Sigma, did you have to provide this the first time you applied? It's a bit different for renewals.

The US doesn't keep records on citizens who haven't committed crimes - but most local/state police headquarters will issue a document saying that you haven't committed any crimes in their jurisdiction - this usually suffices for the Czech government requirements.

It's apparently not a totally off-the-wall request, as I got an official document within 30 minutes of asking for it, just saying that their records didn't show any problems with me.

You might usefully phone your local police headquarters and explain that you may need to document the fact that you don't have a criminal record. Even though the document they may issue isn't a national one, the Czech authorities accept this.
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Spiral! I taught in Korea last year, so I'm basing a lot of my questions off of what I had to have for my Korean visa.

I had to get a criminal background check for Korea, which is generally an easy thing to do but will vary from state to state. For me, it was free and took about a week to get.

Another question regarding the CBC.... what kind of "crimes" are they looking for? In Korea, they have gotten much more strict about having absolutely anything on your record. I doubt this is the case in Czech Republic, but just to make sure. I just have 2 speeding tickets on my record, which would now make me disqualified to teach in Korea (stupid, I know. They care about the wrong things over there...). Just want to make sure it won't be a problem in CR.

Thanks!!
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, no one will care about that Very Happy
eclectic

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I teach in Korea and speeding tickets are not part of a criminal background check, atleast not the New Jersey State one. They are looking for felonies. Korea doesnt care about speeding tickets.
ITTP

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spiral78 wrote:
No, no one will care about that Very Happy

I can second that.

Hezky vikend!/Lovely weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21 - bang in the center of Prague!
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eclectic wrote:
I teach in Korea and speeding tickets are not part of a criminal background check, atleast not the New Jersey State one. They are looking for felonies. Korea doesnt care about speeding tickets.

Well from what I've heard, things have changed it recent months and they've become more strict. And I know of people who have denied a visa in Korea because of minor "crimes" (like a drinking ticket when they were under age).

But anyway..... I wanted to know if I need to bring my birth certificate? One school I've been emailing with told me that I need it. I can't imagine why I would though if I have a passport. Seems unnecessary. I don't know that I can get access to my birth certificate before I leave, anyway.

Any advice please and thank you!
Sigma

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to bring my long-form Canadian birth certificate for my first visa application, but this was two years ago.

However, it is still listed as a requirement for a visa, at least for Canadian nationals.

http://old.mzv.cz/wwwo/default.asp?id=45915&ido=19750&idj=2&amb=58&ParentIDO=108

What is your nationality?
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm American, but I would assume it should be about the same... I had tried looking for the info on the Czech Embassy in the US but couldn't really find exactly what I was looking for. I'll just bring everything to be safe.

Thanks again!
elena.sprick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Again....

I arrived in Prague on Wednesday and had my first interview today.

In my interview, the visa process came up, and I had no idea how expensive it would be. No one on here has mentioned these kinds of costs on here, so I just wanted to see if it seems right. I realize most people who post on here have been here for a quite a while, but maybe you could check with your school or something?? Some advice would be much appreciated....

The school said that they cost of the visa would be 18,000 cks (not including the trip to Vienna). And if a one year contract is fulfilled the school will reimburse 10,000 of the cost. They said you first have to get a short term visa that will cover you while you apply for the long term visa.

Does all of this seem right? Will it really cost me that much??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: