Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Info about living in Hodonin, Czech Republic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorilou

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Info about living in Hodonin, Czech Republic? Reply with quote

I have a job interview next week with a school in Hodonin, Czech Republic. I can find very little information on the town-- not nearly enough to judge whether or not I want to spend a year there! I'd like to know a little about cost of living, activities in the city, etc. I'm early-twenties, and I would like a city where I can have some sort of social life. Has anyone else been here? Any information would be great!
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've answered your post on the General Discussion board.
Sigma

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Hodonin a few times. It could be a difficult place for someone to live, if they enjoy a busy lifestyle. The city is around 25,000, which is half the size of the place where I live. I suspect there wouldn't be too many English native speakers. That can either be a good thing, or a bad thing. It all depends on how easily you can learn Czech and what is your comfort level for being isolated.

It is quite close to Breclav (I'm going there today), where you can easily catch a train to a 'big' city. Vienna is only 1-hour away by train.

Hodonin is also in the heart of the Moravian wine region. You would also be close to some beautiful places such as Mikulov, Pavlov, Znojmo, Lednice and Valtice.

Again, the hardest part about living in a small town would be the feeling of isolation. You would have to be comfortable being on your own every now and then. It can take a while to meet people.

With all that being said, living in a small city/town is more rewarding (for me at least), but it is definitely not for everyone.
cks

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a beautiful region, but the town can be quite sleepy. If you make some friends then you might have the time of your life. We head to that region about once a month, let me know it you want to me up.
ITTP

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:01 am    Post subject: Re: Info about living in Hodonin, Czech Republic? Reply with quote

Lorilou wrote:
I have a job interview next week with a school in Hodonin, Czech Republic. I can find very little information on the town-- not nearly enough to judge whether or not I want to spend a year there! I'd like to know a little about cost of living, activities in the city, etc. I'm early-twenties, and I would like a city where I can have some sort of social life. Has anyone else been here? Any information would be great!

Hi Lorilou.

As far as I'm aware, and pls correct me if I'm wrong, Hodonin has very little reason to be visited. My Moravian friend, who is from Kyjov suggests that Hodonin is a bit of a skin-head hangout too.
I'd try and opt for Brno and then you can make your trips out to different parts of the beautiful S.Moravian countryside when you feel like the need to escape from the relative tranquility of Brno.
Seems that in the smaller villages in the region a lot of alcohol is consumed to cut the boredom of living out in the sticks.
Just my 2 cents though.

Hezky den!/Lovely day!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Info about living in Hodonin, Czech Republic? Reply with quote

Quote:

Seems that in the smaller villages in the region a lot of alcohol is consumed to cut the boredom of living out in the sticks.

Rolling Eyes

I would much rather live in the 'sticks' than in Prague, and it has nothing to do with alcohol.

Some people are happier out here, but then some people wouldn't like it.
ITTP

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Info about living in Hodonin, Czech Republic? Reply with quote

Sigma wrote:
Quote:

Rolling Eyes

I would much rather live in the 'sticks' than in Prague, and it has nothing to do with alcohol.

Some people are happier out here, but then some people wouldn't like it.

Hi Sigma.

Yes, I can definitely understand why some people would prefer to live out in the countryside. Also, that of course alcohol isn't a priority for everyone living in the countryside.

For me personally though I tend to get crazy with boredom after even a weekend in the countryside and can't wait to get back to the faster pace of city life. I love living in Prague because of the opportunities here for entertainment and also because it's very easy to escape from the city in one of the many parks or forests which scatter the city - easy too to leave the city completely within a relatively short period of time (something which isn't so easy to do here in Seoul, where I am on business this week).

Have a great rest of the weekend!

Neville Smile

ITTP Prague
Narodni 21, Prague 1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Czech Republic All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: