Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why is a driving licence required?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lucreziaborgia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:57 am    Post subject: Why is a driving licence required? Reply with quote

I am interested in working in Italy but not prepared to drive a car.
It seems that most EFL positions require that the teacher has a current driving licence to 'drive between venues".
What is the problem with taxis and/or public transport? I appreciate that public transport maybe a problem but assume taxis would be available for this purpose.
Can anyone shed some light on this matter?
spiral78

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They want you to teach deep in the wilds of industrial parks, on a tight schedule - public transport would not get you between your students in time.
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

... and taxis are expensive and not widely available in many places. I think I've used 2 in my 3 years here, when carrying heavy suitcases to/from airports and main stations. It's not like the ME or Asia where taxis are thick on the ground.

What about scooters? Are your objections environmental, safety based or (had it been me in my 20's) no car licence? They will normally provide the car which will probably something like a Fiat600 or Panda.. quite fun to drive.
lucreziaborgia

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your comments. I guessed as much but didn't want to think the worst of these language factories!
I haven't driven for years although my Australian driver's licence is current. I have been working in Asia for several years where the traffic is a nightmare - especially where I am - and know that Italian drivers are
not far behind in terms of patience and general adherence to road rules.
I also have certain environmental issues.
What happens if you refuse to drive...? Or is that a really dumb question. Are there alternatives; it seems not.
SueH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without being mobile you probably won't get the job. Road safety isn't _that_ bad as soon as you learn not to expect the use of indicators from some people and realise the accident rate is highest amongst kids and drunks.. The environmental impact of an EU cat 4 scooter is pretty small and you can drive a 50cc one on a car licence (ISTR). Perhaps that might be a compromise you could accept?

I have a car but as I'm on hols I've used it once this week to carry a load. It really depends where you are and where you work as to your transport needs.
Teacher in Rome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got "environmental issues" then I'm not sure Italy is the place for you. There is an incentive to get rid of old, polluting cars, but it doesn't seem to apply to lorries, vans, or pick-ups - all of which seem to belch out fumes and seemingly have passed the "revisione". Who knows how.

Despite exorbitant fuel costs, coaches and cars alike idle while their drivers go off for a coffee, and nobody seems the least bit concerned. If you think you're doing your environmental bit as a cyclist or motorino rider, think again. The danger you're putting your life in (well, deservedly so if you're the sort of cyclist that cycles three abreast with other mates on a busy A road) should convince you that being in a car is a lot safer, tho not greener, than being on two wheels. It may be that kids and drunks are the most often killed in cars here, but you'd be truly mad to want to cycle.
Marquess

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume your environmental issues don't preclude you from flying from Asia to Italy.
SueH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'm slightly mad then, TiR!

I'd agree on the diesels (what do they do at the revisione?!) and the idling vehicles.
lucreziaborgia

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marquess, No they don't as that's the way things are in this occupation. I might take a train...
ragazzo gallese

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only way you might avoid the driving is by getting a job in central Milan or maybe Rome.

By the way, I didn't find driving in Italy that bad (with the exception of Naples) and the school cars tend to be the most economical - my last school had little Toyota Aygos.
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick question; Do you need a drivers license to ride a scooter?

Would it be recommended that I try and get a drivers license whilst I'm in my home Country. As I can see how not being able to drive may become a severe disadvantage in the future, and I'm less likely to learn once I'm in a foreign land.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: