Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've got ANSWERS

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SignorB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: I've got ANSWERS Reply with quote

It seems to me that there is a certain amount of intentional dissuasion if not disinformation posted by people here sometimes. So, for all you newbies, I'd love to give you straightforward answers.

I'm not a super-vet but I've got some experience. More importantly, I'd like to help you because I know what it's like to eagerly search for answers that seem to be illusive.

Hope I can help...
SignorB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:06 am    Post subject: PS Reply with quote

In my enthusiasm to help, I forgot to add that my advice comes from an American perspective.
kojimoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: An American with Questions! Reply with quote

Hello!

I am currently teaching ESL in Tokyo, but wanting to move to Italy for a dramatic change of lifestyle in about 1.5 years. What is your advice on the following:

1. ) what city do you recommend, and why? ... I am looking for cheaper living, but close to a large city, and with beautiful scenery.

2. ) how many hours a week is necessary to work in order to make a decent living?

3. ) how much will I be expected to make per hour at a private vs. chain schoo?

4. ) what are Italian students like? In Japan, the school kids are extremely shy and obedient, very serious and put a lot of pressure on themselves to be perfect. How would teaching Italians differ?

5. ) what is your general overall opinion of being an American in Italy? do you have a school you'd recommend? what is your favorite aspect of the lifestyle/ culture?

you don't have to answer everything, I am just so curious to pick someone's brain about the beautiful country b/c I've never been there :O

Also... are you aware of any reputable Italian language schools? Thanks!!

Megan
kojimoji

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahaha I too, forgot to say that I am an American. Wink
spiral78

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that there is a certain amount of intentional dissuasion if not disinformation posted by people here sometimes. So, for all you newbies, I'd love to give you straightforward answers.

I'm not a super-vet but I've got some experience. More importantly, I'd like to help you because I know what it's like to eagerly search for answers that seem to be illusive.

Hope I can help...

I hope that you can, too. When will you post your advice regarding obtaining legal work as a non-EU citizen teaching English in Italy? I'll be the first to support you if you have legit information about how to do this.

To be really clear: how can a North American get legal work permits to teach in Italy, please?
ragazzo gallese

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, it's very difficult for non-EU members to get the requisit work permits, or at least difficult/costly enough for most schools not to bother. As far as they are concerned, there are enough British and Irish to go around, as well as certain Americans or Australians, etc. with dual nationality (i.e. a European parent).

I'm not saying it's impossible, but the only Americans I have worked with (or met in the TEFL industry) so far were my last boss (Italian husband) and a girl with French parents.

I have heard that some schools will employ Americans on study visas, but not only is this illegal, but the bosses can treat you like cr*p, pay you less than the legal employees, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Sorry. I guess it sucks, but we Brits can't easilly get a green card to come and work in the USA either. Good luck!
spiral78

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Signor B, where are you?! Shocked
EvilTwin2000

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For someone who has ANSWERS (caps in original), OP hasn't been very forthcoming.

Maybe he misplaced the sheet of paper he wrote them on.
spiral78

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhuuum....please forgive, but it's late and I've had a couple of glasses of wine, and am 99% likely to be seen as really negative and awful here.....

but......

caught and deported?
cks

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, where is Signor B? I am patiently waiting for his answers as well.
Mrguay84

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damned! This is just like organised religion. Answers are promised and never given. Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Italy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: